• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what would you pay for this line drawing

TheSnowman

The Vector Doctor said:
I would not want to do something like this for less than $100

I will remember that. I would love to have an actual picture sometime that I could eventually vinyl cut. I know you had thought about pictures of people too at one point. I think you just need to bid it to make it worth your while, and if you get it, you yet it. If not, it wasn't worth messing with for you.

I think people would use you for it if they knew you could do it for them though.

Custom_Grafx

my minimum fee is 60-80$, yes, even for a small sticker with custom text layout. you don't like it? tough - either learn how to supply the art overnight, or find someone who will even give you the time of day... NEEEEXT!

The only exception to this is serialized labels and variable data where i can directly work of an excel file where i go off around $20 per job for the setup fee. afterall, it's not that painful.

Something like that, I'd tell my client $150-$200 and convey to them that it's time based - I always go over by a little bit just in case. If it works out to be $120 according to my own formulas, I am honest and charge $120. Customer is usually happier to pay less than the quote, rather than more - and you will also feel better getting paid what you deserve, rather than underquoting yourself and not getting paid enough.

having said that though, if you're supplying these files to people in the sign/graphics industry, then maybe they expect you to be cheaper than this? because they want to mark up on it? i guess if it's a regular client you're doing it for, and they aren't pushing you for time, then maybe something like $100 is reasonable. I think less than $100 is a waste of your time - but just my opinion.

Dan Antonelli

I would expect to pay $300 or so and anything less is giving it away. It's tight and on the money. Don't sell yourself short. We would charge at least $125/hr and I doubt even my best illustrator could do it in less than 4 or 5 hours.

mikey-Oh

I would expect to pay $300 or so and anything less is giving it away. It's tight and on the money. Don't sell yourself short. We would charge at least $125/hr and I doubt even my best illustrator could do it in less than 4 or 5 hours.

If not tonight, you may wanna console Dan on pricing. I believe in the man's eye, specially regarding talent

ddarlak

Go Bills!
what would i pay?

whatever you charged, cause my brain would explode and it would take me ten times the time you spent to make it look half as good.

but if i had a client need and it had to be done, i'd tell them it would run them $200....

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
$50, way too little. I have done other line drawings before but never this detailed and quoted it too quickly without putting much thought into it. However, this wouldn't be the first time I quoted something too low. I did not intend to put this much detail into the drawing when I quoted and once I started, I just kept on going. As I mentioned, it was a learning experience. I get much better at quoting as time goes on. Also being subjective, I never know how much detail is enough to satisfy the customer.

My problem is it seems that 5% of my customers are willing to pay $100-200 for a vector drawing. Most are expecting low cost work. 10 years from now, I may phase out the low cost/profit jobs and do just this type of work. I need a much larger customer base in order to do so

Thank you all for the positive comments. I am proud of how it turned out

TheSnowman

Oh boy...let me know when you are gonna phase out the little stuff! I'm gonna have to find me a good chinaman to do my work!

Marlene

10 years from now, I may phase out the low cost/profit jobs and do just this type of work. I need a much larger customer base in order to do so

as much as it pains to me say it as I love your work, thinking ahead like that isn't a bad idea. one can only assume that in the next 10 years, people will finally figure out how to make and send artwork to folks like me that isn't such a piece of crap that I need to go to some one like you to make it workable. looking to get into the next thing to come my be the way to go.

as far as pricing what you posted as an example, it looks like clipart but it isn't as it is a custom piece. the only way to do work like that any cheaper is if you did a ton of it and could sell the work as clipart after doing the job. otherwise, custom is custom and people should expect to pay for that. $100 -$200 is a reasonable price for a peice of artwork like this. not so high that it is out of the question to do and not so low that you are giving your work away.

32bantum

I would pay $15.00 and wait 3 days to get my file. Not saying it's not worth more, just saying thats what I pay the people who do redraws for me.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Here's an example of a way to look at this.

Go dig a hole that's 2' x 2' x 3' deep and plant a tree in your back yard. How much did that cost you ?? [Not the tree.]

Now go dig a hole 2' x 2' x 3' for a sign post to put up a nice sign for a Pizza Shop. How much are you going to charge that guy for your services ?? [Not the sign portion.]

When we do things for ourselves or want to minimize something it's always easy as 1, 2, 3 to tell someone what it's worth. When that same task becomes a job and demands payment.... aren't the same tools used, the same muscles, the same thought patterns and the same time frame ??

Why is it harder to put a fair price on something when you're doing it for business ??

John Butto

need work, please help

I would pay $15.00 and wait 3 days to get my file. Not saying it's not worth more, just saying thats what I pay the people who do redraws for me.
Whoever is charging $15 for the work that VectorDoc is showing is only getting that because he needs to buy some crack or cigs and it takes three days because that is when he can make it to the prison library computer to download it to you.

Border

Probably not gonna happen for a while, unless Dan hires me at those rates:smile:

There you go! Keep showing off your great work as you did here and sooner than you know it, you WILL be in greater demand for the high-end stuff like that.
You should (if you don't already) devote one page of your website specifically to the higher-end stuff and make sure to include lots of good key words for that kind of work, for SEO purposes to attract more of those types of clients. (holy bad sentence structure, Batman!)
Your work is always outstanding!

:U Rock:

Tim Aucoin

I'd expect to pay $100 to $150 for that Eric, and I think the detail amount is just right. I'd be able to work with a vector like that to further customize it to my customer's needs if necessary. I would be selling that image to my customer for at least $300 if not more. Which raises a question as to whether you have a wholesale pricing system as well as a retail pricing system? Is most of what you do for the end user or for the re-seller? :rolleyes:

ionsigns

Fair Market Value

:clapping:Digital Printing has deflated the vector market IMHO. If a customer wants good art a decent artist in markets other than large metro should be able to earn a living wage - comparable to a teacher with 10-20 years experience. $20-$30-$40 (to include overhead costs) per hour. If the customer here won't pay $60-$80 for this illustration conversion then they don't value your work any more than we should value theirs.

People who think our time is worth less than theirs are disrespectful to us artists because they are not knowledgeable (also defined as ignorant - ignoring and not applying easily accessible and valuable information). People who beat us down on price are greedy and not good business people because they take advantage of customers.

Last edited: