• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rant Whatever happened to Health & Safety?

MrDav3C

Is it just me or this a great example of clueless installers taking stupid risks?

Please note this isn't my business, just a random company I saw installing this locally today and thought "how stupid, dangerous and unprofessional!"

Yes, it's not that high, but really ladders on a van roof??? Surely they should buy some better ladders and equipment?

Would love other people's thoughts on this!

Attachments

• IMG_20240508_194911.jpg
    IMG_20240508_194911.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 185

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If ya think they're doing everything wrong..... do ya think they applied for a permit ??

:noway: They don't give a sh!t.

BigNate

look close - there is a deck on top of the van... I am not saying what they are doing in the pic is safe... BUT a deck could be built that looks like that one and has secure attachment points for the ladder, etc.... so other than not knowing which side of the road to drive on, they may actually be doing this in a relatively safe manner. (okay, I really want to believe they are really cleaver and did this correctly.... alas, the OP is most likely right and this is totally unsafe...)

unclebun

They make tents that mount on platforms like that and people camp on top of vans like that. Standing on it seems like it would be a piece of cake. Probably as steady and secure as they'd be on a double level of scaffolding.

ikarasu

Not going to lie, I've thrown the ladder in the bed of my truck a few times to get some extra height when needed.

I was just installing some overhead signs in a parking garage.... Was using 2 ladders and drilling into the concrete overhead sucks, so I backed up the truck and stood on the teneau cover.

Some things are against safety regs for sure.... But sometimes safety regs are at too strict

Not sure I'd do it on-top of a cube van though, that's a pretty big drop.

gnubler

It looks like they have some kind of platform bolted to the top of that van. I wouldn't categorize that as safe, but at least they put some effort into getting a flat surface to work on.

I'd give it a 4/10.

That looks like me last summer, when I had to straddle over some landscaping bushes installing window graphics, with one foot on a ladder and one on the ledge of the building. I figured if I fell the boughs of the bushes would gently cushion my fall. :D

MrDav3C

look close - there is a deck on top of the van... I am not saying what they are doing in the pic is safe... BUT a deck could be built that looks like that one and has secure attachment points for the ladder, etc.... so other than not knowing which side of the road to drive on, they may actually be doing this in a relatively safe manner. (okay, I really want to believe they are really cleaver and did this correctly.... alas, the OP is most likely right and this is totally unsafe...)
I don't think that's a deck, I think thats the projecting sign they are about to install!

Actually, you are right after a bit of a better look, there is a deck!

Last edited:

pro-up

I saw some guys installing siding on a new residential building that was three stories. I wished I had taken a picture. They had a ton of ladders tied together like scaffolding. It was one of the craziest things I had ever seen. I did see a guy installing a sign locally doing exactly the same thing as OPs pic. Ladder on top of their truck. Isn't ladder falls one of the number one injuries? Crazy and not worth the injury.

Vassago

Is it just me or this a great example of clueless installers taking stupid risks?

Please note this isn't my business, just a random company I saw installing this locally today and thought "how stupid, dangerous and unprofessional!"

Yes, it's not that high, but really ladders on a van roof??? Surely they should buy some better ladders and equipment?

Would love other people's thoughts on this!
You see this alot with people who just start a business - they don't understand the" correct" way to do it.. Only looking at the cheapest way.

H&S is a big deal in the UK - but some people ignore everything.. Probably a cash in hand job.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I've done it before, one time and it was the last. Just had that sick feeling in my stomach the entire time. I bought a bucket truck after that. Now I want another one because somedays only 1 seems "sketchy" on some jobs.

Vassago

I've done it before, one time and it was the last. Just had that sick feeling in my stomach the entire time. I bought a bucket truck after that. Now I want another one because somedays only 1 seems "sketchy" on some jobs.
Only takes one mistake.. Once you've got the proper equipment - you wonder why people don't use it...

visual800

they have a platform on that van and they are getting the job done, you dont need harnessnes for using a ladder, they are good to go! I commend them

Vassago

they have a platform on that van and they are getting the job done, you dont need harnessnes for using a ladder, they are good to go! I commend them
Whilst they may have a "platform" on top - where are the stabiliser legs?

You ever wobbled a van?

You've a ladder on an unstable surface. Not exactly the safest thing to do.

Plus.. Potentially illegal parking - most councils don't allow this.

Its one thing to do such things at home - but another when it's a business and the public are put at risk.

Do you think they've got insurance?

Can you imagine the conversation if there was an accident? Wouldn't end well..

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Looks fine to me but why is the guy too scared to climb the ladder. He's on the bottom rung reaching as far as he can. Like 5 guys staring at a hornets nest tossing twigs at it but none have the balls to knock it down.

Vassago

I've done plenty of questionable things in my time, but when you've got employees it's different..

The problem arises when quotes are provided..

Companies using proper health and safety techniques for their staff will have larger costs than those who just stick a ladder on top of a van..

But when someone falls.. Who pays the guy who's injured? The company sure won't as they won't have insurance.