• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's your favorite drill bit for ACM?

VizualVoice

I just learned how to change my title status
Just what the title says. I couldn't find a consensus with the (lousy) search feature here. Gotta put some 3/16" holes in the corners of a bunch of small ACM "plaques" to hang on a big sponsor board, so don't really want something that's going to make me have to de-burr all the holes if I can avoid it, and I got to thinking that while I've cut tons of it, I don't know that I've ever actually drilled holes in any yet. :banghead:

What say you, hive mind?

VizualVoice

This works good for ACM and aluminum
Let me ask you a couple questions about it - I'm going to be putting the holes in 2 corners. My plan WAS to set up a 2-sided, right angle fence on my drill press and just shove the piece into the corner of that block, drop the hole, flip over for the second one and then move on to the next one. I've got about 40 of these pieces to do.

1) Do you think the hole is too close to the corner to punch? (I'm worrying about delimitation or bending of the narrow pieces between the hole and edge)

2) Can I somehow modify the alignment gauge (maybe add another piece?) to make it line up to a corner instead of just a depth? It would save time of having to mark and align them all.

3) (I lied) it looks like that has compound leverage so not toooooo bad, will my hands survive doing 80 holes? :confused:

Regardless, I'm definitely going to get one of those because it looks handy as hell for all kinds of other things. Good link!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 12.21.53 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 12.21.53 PM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 39

weyandsign

1: No, the hole is not too close.
2: I would be interested in finding a tabletop mounted version of this. It is a little awkward unless you have the pieces held down. You need both hands to operate the tool while holding the piece. But it's not too difficult.
3:Yes your hands will survive it punches thru very easily.
Capture3.JPG

VizualVoice

1: No, the hole is not too close.
2: I would be interested in finding a tabletop mounted version of this. It is a little awkward unless you have the pieces held down. You need both hands to operate the tool while holding the piece. But it's not too difficult.
3:Yes your hands will survive it punches thru very easily.
View attachment 171079
Thanks for that visual it helps a lot!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Just grab whatever 3/16 bit you want. 2 flute, 3 flute, brad point,, Forstner if you have one that small, whatever. Step bits are for inept dofuses who don't know their ass from a warm biscuit. There's few things easier to drill than ACM.

Evan Gillette

I agree with stacking, it keeps the from blowing out a burr on the bottom surface of each sheet and make a cleaner cut. Lightly clamp the stack so they stay together. We use regular twist drill or punch mostly. Step bits need cautionto not accidentally remove the aluminum face around the hole.

We have a name brand whitney hand punch but most of the knock offs are decent. Whitney makes a bench mount but I have never taken the time to order it, maybe someday...

VizualVoice

I wound up finding a forstner bit in my kit that did a surprisingly good job of it. Did a stack of them with waste on the bottom and they came out great. Happy parts were delivered to happy client yesterday and a check was placed in my greedy paws. Win.