• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Whats Your Go To Font

No Lemon

Just wondering what your favorite fonts you use for banners, vehicle lettering and other thing you print on a regular basis?

Pat Whatley

Currently:
Tide Sans
Tungsten
Geoslab
Museo

Best design advice I ever got was to figure out what your ten "go to" fonts are and then delete them from your computer. It forces you to actually think about the font you're using and gets you away from turning out cookie cutter stuff.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
parking signs and stuff -- Myriad -- a good range of weights and widths and is a nice fresh change from Arial/Helv.

Warning/safety signs - HighwayGothic/BlueHighway/RoadGeek. -- "the most readable fonts ever designed" (I know, some will mention Clearview, but I think Clearview is not as readable and is, in fact, just a money-extraction device)

I like to use Cheltenham, but not necessarily for everytime a serif is needed or wanted.

City is another font I find I'll use when I think I can get away with it -- a good alternate slab serif

I will use HotShot for an ad script quite often

and for quick formal script needs, the Shelley group is good to go ( Allegro, Andante, Volante)

If I'm designing a logo or something -- I have no favourites -- I use what I can find that I think fits the bill.

Last edited:

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
"Thou shalt not limit thyself ..."

Oh, were it to be.... :)

On the other hand, when a cute, but scatter-brained babe comes in and urgently explains that she needs invites made for her future sister-in-law's shower in a "nice script" --- and oh, can you do them by 3:00? -- I already know the font is going to be Shelley.

This is what go-to fonts are for, in my view.

But when there is more time.....

SignosaurusRex

......On the other hand, when a cute, but scatter-brained babe comes in and urgently explains that she needs invites made for her future sister-in-law's shower in a "nice script" --- and oh, can you do them by 3:00? -- I already know the font is going to be Shelley.....

Adante, Volante or Allegro? ;)

C

ColoPrinthead

parking signs and stuff -- Myriad -- a good range of weights and widths and is a nice fresh change from Arial/Helv.

Warning/safety signs - HighwayGothic/BlueHighway/RoadGeek. -- "the most readable fonts ever designed" (I know, some will mention Clearview, but I think Clearview is not as readable and is, in fact, just a money-extraction device)

I like to use Cheltenham, but not necessarily for everytime a serif is needed or wanted.

City is another font I find I'll use when I think I can get away with it -- a good alternate slab serif

I will use HotShot for an ad script quite often

and for quick formal script needs, the Shelley group is good to go ( Allegro, Andante, Volante)

If I'm designing a logo or something -- I have no favourites -- I use what I can find that I think fits the bill.
I was reading the wiki on Clearview, it is interesting to me how it was claimed to be effective and then the study saying so was apparently questionable. I find it on street signs in town every now and then and get a nice laugh.

peavey123

I right now I like Gotham (various weights), modesto poster, fat frank, industry or prohibition or similar...

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Lately I find I am using Gotham, Bebas Neue, Proxima Nova and Avenir a lot for san-serif, bold lettered stuff. For scripts, I have a slew of different ones...probably use AS Snapper and Great Vibes quite a bit.
Depends on the sign, really.

Signchief

Clearview is a great example of Our tax dollars at work... The federal govt alone spent hundreds of thousands just in research. That's what you get when you have a bunch of old people in charge. If you can't read the sign It must be the font, Wtf