• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What's your opinion on Signlab?

thesignguy1986

Posting again late at night. I currently have Flexi Sign Pro and Winpcsign pro (Winpcsign for vinyl only). I am sick and tired of Flexi always having multiple problems and everytime I'm on here it seems like someone is having a problem with Flexi. I'd like to know if anyone has thoughts on the new Signlab. I saw the video samples of it and it looked liked pretty good software. Please let me know what you think because I am seriously considering getting rid of Flexi all together and truthfully don't know much about Signlab since everyone I know uses Flexi.

Thanks

radiohead223

i've been with signlab for about 15plus years now and most days it's great but like any other program it has it days where it gives trouble.... one thing i have found good with signlab in the last few years is the help on cadlinks own forums. i had some problems with files not opening and so other issues with getting old engraving machines to operate under the program. but with the techs that help on their forum it is great backup now days.

but still like any other program out there it will always have the days where bashing your head into the desk is more productive

astro8

Great for cutters and 2d routing, engraving...not so good in the printing/rip department...may have improved with the last upgrade but I find a high-end rip (we use ErgoSoft) will smoke Flexi, Photoprint, Signlab's RIP and you'll get the very best out of your printer(s). It would be nice to be able to design, cut, route, engrave and print all from the same package but sadly I've never come across any one piece of sofware that accomplishes all of the above to the level at which I want to operate at.

Coreldraw or Illustrator (I mainly use Xara) for design (Photoshop should be used for retouching, creating raster artwork, not for designing signs!) along with Signlab or Flexi and your printers supplied Rip seems to be what a majority of sign shops use.

But to answer your question, for everyday sign work, I don't think you will gain much at all by switching from Flexi to Signlab.

CentralSigns

Too bad your just asking, they just had a half price sale. It ended on the on the 31st. Ya might get that pricing tomorrow, who knows. I like Signlab for vinyl, printing I use Corel Draw.

thesignguy1986

Wow I'll defintally be calling tomorrow to see if they will still honor the deal if it's half off. I'm just tired of flexi and if I don't like it I guess i can always sell it.

CentralSigns

The only drawback is the dongle. It has to be plugged in to the computer at opening and to print. Good for a small shop. Trickier for a large one.

BobM

I've been using SignLab for about 5 years, version 7.1 currently. Only had a couple of small problems that their tech service people were very helpful with. The customer support is always the most important thing for me and they pass with flying colors.

signappeal

I have used Signlab since 1991 when it was Cadlink 1.0.

That being said, If I was just starting now, there is NO WAY that I would choose Signlab. I experience bug after bug after bug daily. I have 2 licensed versions and I am on the latest Signlab 8.0 Rev 1.

I am bugged daily by my tenant that has a wholesale printing company, I constantly have to bring over files to him to fix in Illustrator. He wants me to switch to Illustrator to avoid the headaches, but I am a creature of habit and will end up using Signlab to the end.:frustrated:

I should do a little experiment one day and write down all the bugs I come across and post them here for laughs, but I do not think that Signlab would like that too much.

Moral of the story, stay clear of them if you have other options.

We have been using SignLab for years. You will find that there a considerably fewer complaints than you will see with Flexi - and we have none. The RIP is easy & accurate and we can even contour with our OM-60 with a repeatable accuracy of less than 1/64".

amy s.

I'm designing in corel x3, outputting to cutting master, cutting with graphtec 5000-60. Major tracking problem and a lot more complicated to use than the old 4b I've used for years. Tried to use the cutting master to work the 4b...no HPGL, only gpgl...because its a graphtec product??? All I'm interested in is designing in corel x3 and sending that design to my 4b plotter (tracks perfectly, long run jobs, no headaches) (HPGL). I cut vinyl only. Any suggestions for simple to use cutting software? I'm no tech'y....just know when it works. Will sign lab work with hpgl?

Vinyldog

I like it

Sign-lab is the only program I've used - I started with 3.86 I believe - so I can't say it's better than another sign program - but as a Roland user I find the VersaWoks edition of SL to be a pleasure to work with compaired to AI or Photoshop.

dolce05

I've been using signlab for 15 plus yrs. I have no issues what so ever. Just like any program it has its ups and downs, but I've made it my business to learn the program as well as I can, and its a great tool for us here. (we primarily do vehicle wraps and plotter cut vinyl) Alot of vehicles!

Signlab i used to do all our vector, then we do our magic in Photoshop.

We are currently running 8.0

R08

Used Signlab when it was called Cadlink as well. I think the last version I used was 5.x
Now using Flexi and I prefer it hands down.

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
I started out with Gerber's software in 1991 and upgraded to Graphics Advantage 6.0. Being stuck to Win98 was kind of a pain, so after attending the Orlando sign show a couple of month ago I decided it was time to upgrade. Signlab had a terrific deal going and even gave me the cross over discount. I got my new Windows 7 computer and Sign Lab 8 last week!!! It's exciting to set up a new system and I have been playing with the demo version for a few weeks. I think it's going to be great software. I still need to get my Gerber GS15 and GS750 Plus plotters to work, but I've been busy and haven't been able to contact support yet.

Neil

Install those cutters - you'll love it.
Just go to File/Install/cutters - it'll have your Gerber plotters listed. Put a check box next to the ones you want to install.
Then go to Cut/plotting defaults - select your driver and set it up.