• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

where do my jpegs and png's go

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Every once in a while when I send a customer a jpeg sample or png screen capture the customer says they don't see or get the jpegs

I did a test by forwarding the same email to my hotmail account and opened it up using Parallels on my Mac using Internet Explorer

HEre is a a screen shot. All files are there. So is it the customer's fault not knowing what to do? Why would an image file (jpeg or png) not attach but the others did?

For non sign and graphics companies I always send a jpeg and pdf so they can view it

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-29 at 9.03.41 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-07-29 at 9.03.41 AM.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 150

thinksigns

SnowFlake
I'm interested in an answer for this too. Most of our problems seem to be with pdf files. Since I've started sending the png screen shots it doesn't happen as much, but it still does.
We also have trouble with customers not being able to view pdf files on their Blackberry.

I would love to know what to tell them.

SignaramaFL

I think more times than not, its the customer not knowing how or what an attachment is.

Also we always send a JPEG for a proof, it seems that's the easiest because everyone can open it on their handheld and computers.

WildWestDesigns

I think more times than not, its the customer not knowing how or what an attachment is.

As bad as it sounds, I still think that there is a lot of that going around. Unless something is going on with their anti-virus software that is blocking it. While I've never had that happen to me personally, I wouldn't put it beyond the realm of possibility.

SignaramaFL

As bad as it sounds, I still think that there is a lot of that going around. Unless something is going on with their anti-virus software that is blocking it. While I've never had that happen to me personally, I wouldn't put it beyond the realm of possibility.

I know down here in oh wonderful FL with some... elderly customers we have this is reality. and we get some that don't even know what email is :doh:

WildWestDesigns

I know down here in oh wonderful FL with some... elderly customers we have this is reality. and we get some that don't even know what email is :doh:

Yea, that seems to be touch and go with that demographic. I've sent some embroidery patterns to one guy that has zero problem with it. 40 yr old woman on a home embroidery machine that I did digitizing for, barely knew how to operate basic email function on her hotmail account. My 97 yr old grandmother writes emails all the time. You just never know anymore.

njshorts

This is probably way beyond the clients, but they may have attachment filtering, or a provider that strips attachments over a certain count (some as low as 1!) or size... Or an overzealous e-mail provider's anti-virus.

again, probably a bit more technology than the average client is running... but possible.

showcase 66

Someone told me before that sometimes it will do this if your file is saved in CMYK instead of RGB. I had a client that I sent an email about 3 or 4 times with a pdf attachment that they never got. On the last one I sent it to them as well as to myself. I got it they didnt. I recreated the pdf and this time I made it RGB format and they got it with no problems. Have been trying to remember to switch to RGB before I send anymore.

WildWestDesigns

Someone told me before that sometimes it will do this if your file is saved in CMYK instead of RGB. I had a client that I sent an email about 3 or 4 times with a pdf attachment that they never got. On the last one I sent it to them as well as to myself. I got it they didnt. I recreated the pdf and this time I made it RGB format and they got it with no problems. Have been trying to remember to switch to RGB before I send anymore.

Were you using a web-based email service? I've always designed in CMYK, but I use Outlook to send/receive email.

Jim Doggett

It could be they're CMYK images, but I doubt that's your default setting since you do it all the time.

More likely the client is in Gmail, Yahoo, etc. and hasn't clicked "always display images from [you]." This is if you insert the image into the body of the email, rather than send as an attachment, which is best, IMO. Just send email saying "see attached ..."

Guessing. Could be something else, too. ??????

showcase 66

Were you using a web-based email service? I've always designed in CMYK, but I use Outlook to send/receive email.

I use outlook as well

It could be they're CMYK images, but I doubt that's your default setting since you do it all the time.

More likely the client is in Gmail, Yahoo, etc. and hasn't clicked "always display images from [you]." This is if you insert the image into the body of the email, rather than send as an attachment, which is best, IMO. Just send email saying "see attached ..."

Guessing. Could be something else, too. ??????

Good point about the "always display Images"

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
my jpegs and png's are always rgb by default. Maybe the display images toggle will do the trick. I use apple mail and the issue only comes up with those 2 formats but only occassionally. Unless I zip everything. But then I get some customers that don't know what to do with a zip file

Sometimes the customer, sometimes their mail settings I suppose. It cannot be on my end because when this happens I do a test email to my gmail/hotmail account and everything shows up

thinksigns

SnowFlake
Hopefully this isn't an exception to the "There are no stupid questions". I have only used Apple Mail. When I want to add an attachment, I hit the "Attach" button to attach the file. The customer will then say "I didn't get it, send it as an Attachment". In Mail, the image shows up in the body of the email even though it is an attachment. I'm confused.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Hopefully this isn't an exception to the "There are no stupid questions". I have only used Apple Mail. When I want to add an attachment, I hit the "Attach" button to attach the file. The customer will then say "I didn't get it, send it as an Attachment". In Mail, the image shows up in the body of the email even though it is an attachment. I'm confused.

I send attachments dozens of times a day and use either the attachment button or drag it into the body of the email. Seems to work fine for me either way

Apple mail is a dedicated program like Outlook unlike some other free online mail programs which use a browser. So drag/drop should work fine

Fanaticus

maybe it gets flagged as spam. some email providers have very strict filters. Some also have limits on the size of attachments and won't deliver them.

Sometimes they may have to click a "show attachments" link because the provider is blocking potential threats.

A lot of times people just don't know what they're doing on the www

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I get emails from one client that sends from the latest Office set up.
The attachments show up imbedded in winmail.dat file (I use the Thunderbird client).
I found a .dat reader and have to manage the attachments through it, or it looks like nothing is attached.
This is with a Windows sender & receiver so I don't know if Macs have this issue or not.
Ask the client if they can read the size of the email message received and see if it is about the same as your sent file. If his is much smaller then the attachments did not make it into the in box.

wayne k
guam usa