• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question where to buy a "blank" for plaque production

netsol

if we want to produce something like this plaque, (16 x 24 ish) can we simply purchase a blank & do the engraving on our cnc or one of our milling machines?
(we have the equipment, but i really don't find the time to use it often)

Attachments

• devoe dam.jpg
    devoe dam.jpg
    1,020.1 KB · Views: 224

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That appears to be a cast plaque, most likely bronze, judging by the color. I guess you could mill it, but I doubt it will have the same appeal.

netsol

thank you gino.
who would be a good source? gemini

i am only an expert when things AREN'T WORKING PROPERLY

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
if we want to produce something like this plaque, (16 x 24 ish) can we simply purchase a blank & do the engraving on our cnc or one of our milling machines?
(we have the equipment, but i really don't find the time to use it often)
In another life, I was a tool and die maker. I literally guarantee you that you'll spend 100X more (labor, tooling & frustration) trying to mill a bronze plaque, only to have it turn out looking poorly. You'll have tons of tool marks to polish out, and you will not attain the background texture you desire.

We've had dozens of plaques made by Matthews and Gemini. They can complete the job and ship it to you for the cost you'll spend just getting your machine set up.

Believe me. You'll thank yourself in the end.

JB

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've never heard of blank bronze plaques. That's why I said C A S T. These things are created with first creating a mold and then the hot bronze is poured in and once cooled taken out, cleaned up and painted or cleared. Ever heard the saying 'broke the mold' ??

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I've never heard of blank bronze plaques. That's why I said C A S T. These things are created with first creating a mold and then the hot bronze is poured in and once cooled taken out, cleaned up and painted or cleared. Ever heard the saying 'broke the mold' ??
Yep...sand casting is a very old process. What's even more amazing is how the patterns are created using a photo polymer. Some patterns are still hand-set using letter forms. Bas relief patterns are typically hand-sculpted from clay or polymer.

Submitting an order electronically takes 10 minutes or less, and I marvel at the craftsmanship every time.

JB

Here's a bit of cool eye candy for your Tuesday afternoon.....

netsol

we are obviously in an area where i don't have a clue

kind of figured you could buy a plaque that had a bronze layer on top, and you either milled or cut a mask and sand blasted to remove the material you didn't want (the part that doesn't look like the letter A for example)