• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Where to buy Illustrator?

GoodPeopleFlags

I want to buy Adobe Illustrator for home use and I don't have the $$$ to shell out for the latest and greatest CS5. CS3 would be fine but I'll take whatever version I can get in my price range. I'd rather not say my price range because I have no idea what an older version might go for. Any ideas what that might be? And can anyone make suggestions for a reputable place to buy it? Ebay and Amazon scare me when it comes to buying software. Any suggestions?

AUTO-FX

i bought photoshop from buybargaindeals via ebay. i thought i paid a reasonable price for it - a heck of alot cheaper than buying the latest version. i was a little scared like you said, but it was fine. legal and registered.

Bly

If you already have a work copy you can legally install it on a second computer.
I have CS on my home laptop. It registered fine.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i bought CS3 on ebay years ago for much cheaper than it was going for. I registered it and use a copy at home, as you can install two copies of it.

Steve C.

I want to buy Adobe Illustrator for home use and I don't have the $$$ to shell out for the latest and greatest CS5. CS3 would be fine but I'll take whatever version I can get in my price range. I'd rather not say my price range because I have no idea what an older version might go for. Any ideas what that might be? And can anyone make suggestions for a reputable place to buy it? Ebay and Amazon scare me when it comes to buying software. Any suggestions?

I'm in the same boat with you. I need Illustrator for font testing OTF. I can't
afford $600 right now, in fact I cant really afford anything right now, but I
might come up with a few hundred if I could find an older version. I called
adobe and they are no help. I have just reciently been burned buying used
software and I've heard that adobe is bad about unapproved resellers.

petepaz

see if you can find a computer show in the area(not sure if they still do that) but we bought our original versions from a local computer show and they where all leagal but like a third of the price (not sure how they do it ) they had ser.no's and we registered them with adobe all we do now is buy the upgrades

GoodPeopleFlags

The link says it's an "Academic Box". I think I may have heard of that before but what exactly is it? Something that students get at a discount? Is it any different than the "Regular Box"?

Steve C.

Except for the Name, there is no difference according to this:

Academic software includes the same software and packaging as the fully priced retail version of the software. The word "Academic" is imprinted on the box, however this software is 100% genuine.

Is their any difference between the retail and academically priced software?

Academic software comes with all the same functions and programs as its full priced, retail counterpart. No special requirements needed to purchase or activate the software.

If for any reason the software you receive from us does not install flawlessly, you are covered by our Iron Clad 60-Day Money Back Guarantee. That is our promise to you.

Drip Dry

The link says it's an "Academic Box". I think I may have heard of that before but what exactly is it? Something that students get at a discount? Is it any different than the "Regular Box"?

The last time I looked , it was the same.
You need to have a college student or teacher put their school id in. I can't
believe anyone checks it

postnetnc133

technically isnt the academic version is just that and meant for those that are teachers or students. I have heard that Adobe will pull your license if they find out you are not using it for academic purposes. Guess one of those keep it quiet and no one finds out.

signswi

Yep, you have to currently be a full-time student or educator (or work for an educational institution) to legally install the education license. You can continue using it after you are no longer a full-time student, etc. but once you aren't you need to pay for retail licenses when you go to upgrade. Using the educational license commercially is as bad as just pirating the software off the internet, it's the same intellectual property/licensing violation and isn't worth risking your business and/or personal finances over. Do things the right way, if you can't afford it, save up.

Steve C.

Technically, I could purchase it as an educator, since I am homeschooling
my daughter. Be that as it may, I will not be buying it as things are a little
tight and I can't really come up with the $300 at this time.

While on the subject of upgrades. Is there really such an animal? I have
purchased upgrades of several applications that where in fact full versions.
The last was CorelX3. I purchased the upgrade version at $160 while the
full version was maybe $500. It turns out the only difference was the name.
I have installed it on new computers that never had Corel installed.
So, Whatsupwiththat?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Adobe used to offer a competitive cross-grade from CorelDraw or Freehand(I think) that was the same cost as an upgrade - $199.00.
The only verification was your corel serial number
(I did this to buy IllyCS3)
Don't know if they still offer something like this but you could call and find out if you use an app that may qualify.

wayne k
guam usa

Steve C.

Adobe used to offer a competitive cross-grade from CorelDraw or Freehand(I think) that was the same cost as an upgrade - $199.00.
The only verification was your corel serial number
(I did this to buy IllyCS3)
Don't know if they still offer something like this but you could call and find out if you use an app that may qualify.

wayne k
guam usa

Yes, I have heard of that upgrade from Corel. When I called Adobe to ask
about it they said they had never heard of such an upgrade.... and I talked
to several people about it.

Rodi

@ Steve C, I don't know if you would want to use Illustrator for testing OTF, use InDesign, it really is much better for that than Illy.

royster13

I think the last time Adobe offered the cross grade was CS3......199.00 and I upgraded from a 10.00 used copy of Corel 6.0.....About 2 1/2 years ago....