• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

White Background??

MM Designs

Hi, I'm extremely new to photoshop, and have a lot to learn! I'm sure I'm doing something dumb, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. I'm hoping somebody can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I designed a logo in photoshop and then saved it as an eps file and imported it into flexi. When I designed it in photoshop, it had a transparent background, but when I import it into flexi, it has a white background. I'm putting it on a tile that is black, so that white background looks really bad.

I'm not sure where the white is coming from. Since I designed and saved it on a transparent background, why is it coming through with a white background?

Thanks for your help,
Kim

CenturySigns

Custom Sign Shop Designer
Hey Kim:
Don't know squat about flexi but I do the same thing in PS and reopen it in Corel with no problem....but "merge visable" under layers first then save it as a .tiff with a transparent bk.

Idea Design

Don't know if this still matters to anybody, but my problem was similar to this one. I design everything with Illustrator and Photoshop and then simply "open" in Flexi for print and cut procedures.

When I had my panel designed in Illustrator, I imported some rasters (psd with transparent background) into illy, everything looked good. I saved, went to open in Flexi, and the psd transparency had disappeared.

I figured out that if you import the transparent psd files directly into flexi, the background stays transparent; whereas if you open the file that was saved in illustrator that included those same transparent psd files, the background turns white.

In short, use flexi to import raster files that have transparent backgrounds. I noticed in post one that the logo was saved as a photoshop eps... maybe that's the problem. Leave it alone and save is as a native psd.

Murmanation

With photoshop, saving files as a .tif or .jpg both flatten the layers out and create white backgrounds. If you are wanting a transparent background in PS you need to save it as a .gif file and click the option that says "transparency."

Illustrator is a much more optimum program for designing outdoor because you can save files as a .eps or .ai file and get a transparent background. Plus everything you design in AI is vector based not raster.

jenhuedepohl

What does it look like when you print it?

When you place an imported graphic many programs show you a low res "preview" for viewing on the screen that doesn't show transparency but the transparency will be fine when you print (or view high quality in programs that offer that option). EPS files in particular are prone to this because the file format is essentially all the info for printing a file bundled together with a preview for placement purposes.

Edited to add: this info does not apply to photoshop eps files. Those can only be saved flattened, which doesn't allow for transparency. You'll need to save as a tiff with layers or a psd file. If you *have* to have a format that doesn't support layers, you can use a clipping path.