• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

white ink questions on vs-540

Skye

Hello
i just bought a vs-540.

do you know if you can print a two sided sticker on clear material?
ie print mirrored text, flood in white and print again,

thanks
skye

scuba_steve2699

you can - run the job with the text and white and then have it return to origin. run the job again and have it print only the text.

Skye

Base point

Would you setup on machine before your print to return back to base point when finished printing?

PrintDSM

White ink on Clear Static Cling print issues

We just added a VS-540 to our shop after merging another printing company in with us. I'm having issues with the White AND Metallic inks working right. The sqecific project I'm working on is a reverse print on clear static cling material with a white overprint to make the graphic pop from the outside of the window. It prints great after learning more about the heat settings to make sure the color saturation is even however, the white doesn't print right. You can see the white ink printing but it leaves a milky gray tone almost like a light metallic coating or something instead of the semi/full opaque white you would expect. Single and dual pass don't make much of a difference other than taking longer to print in dual pass mode.

Anyone else having this issue? If so, has anything worked for you?

I've tried:
Daily nozzle test print and Normal Clean
Weekly Powerful clean
Manual clean
Replaced wiper
New White Ink Cartridge

None of these have changed the print

petepaz

if you have white and or metallic inks you need to shake them everyday (or as much as you can remember. ours are shaken at least 3 times a week but usually more) the white and metallic inks settle so if you don't use them for a while you can have issues. the other problem is roland eco-sol white isn't as opaque as you would need to do a 2 way decal. if your machine prints white and metallic i would try this set up. 1-print cmyk backwards on clear, 2-print flood white, 3-print flood metallic, 4 print white, 5-print cmyk readable for the inside veiwing. this is how we silk screen our 2 way decals and it works great. i don't know what results wyou will get with the rolands but another point is to make sure you wait a few minutes in between printing white and metallic on each other because they take longer to dry then the cmyk. they way i have done 2 way decals in the past if they need to be cmyk is print bacwards on the clear then print a separate sheet on white vinyl and mount the two together that works pretty good

PrintDSM

white and metallic

I like the idea of the double white flood for the double sided clings but that's a lot of ink and a lot of print time already. Do you need to have the metallic layer in there?

petepaz

I like the idea of the double white flood for the double sided clings but that's a lot of ink and a lot of print time already. Do you need to have the metallic layer in there?

you can try with out it but the metallic help give more opacity. all depends on how critical the job/customer is. you might just have to run a some samples and see which are going to give you the result you are looking for.
no doubt the white and metallic take longer, that's why on larger runs we silk screen them.

PrintDSM

Heat settings for Cling Material

I read a while back that upping my heat settings on my VS-540 would help get rid of blotchy printing on static cling material. It did that indeed but now I'm having another issue. I have a cling project for 2x3 foot posters with white flood over reverse print. An hour and a half into the first one I had a nasty head strike that smudged the white ink 3 inches into the edge of the poster print. two hours wasted. Not to mention all the ink and cling material.

All I can think is the material is getting too hot and curling up to hit the head on the edges. I've tried using the media clamps and they don't let the material advance like they do regular vinyl. Not sure what to do here but I hate wasting 2 hours to print one poster then starting over 3 times when I have 4 other print projects in the que waiting to get done.

I've also tried raising the printhead and it still does it.

Anyone know a good combo of heat settings on a Roland VS-540 to use with VersaWorks static cling profile?

I'm working with old static material for sure. It predates me working here so I have no idea how old it is. And I have another 54" roll of Solvex Clear Cling on the floor as well. I've been printing on static material with all the center pinch rollers taken out so it's almost like a vinyl cutter setup. Gets ride of the roller lines in the middle but I wonder if it is part of my material curling issue.

Attachments

• cling strike.jpg
    cling strike.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 85

petepaz

static cling is just a PITA no matter how you do it. for us silk screening is the best or uv printing. either way here is a little secret i use on the big cling posters. it's more material and a little more labor but you only have to do it once.
i print the art on regular vinyl then i cut a piece of clear static about 3" bigger all the way around then center mount the print to the cling. the clear cling edge will be strong enough to mount to the window and now no printing issues. the other plus is it's easier to install. a cling that big is really tough to install with no bubbles

creationspvl

Printing on clear static cling with white on vs540

Hello, We have a VS540, and would like to print on clear static cling with colours including the white. Our vs is set-up with : lc-cy-lm-mg-ye-bk-wh-wh. So white white no metalic. We are working with CorelX5 to prepare our file and send it in EPS to versawork. We tryied several things, but still no white appear on the job. Is any body know about this. We would appraciate your help.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
you folks are awesome! Every time I pick up a call some where from the internet, I mention about signs101 people are willing to help extra mile. Just come in to share the experience and feel good about it!

Francis

player

static cling is just a PITA no matter how you do it. for us silk screening is the best or uv printing. either way here is a little secret i use on the big cling posters. it's more material and a little more labor but you only have to do it once.
i print the art on regular vinyl then i cut a piece of clear static about 3" bigger all the way around then center mount the print to the cling. the clear cling edge will be strong enough to mount to the window and now no printing issues. the other plus is it's easier to install. a cling that big is really tough to install with no bubbles

Will that work if the cling is mounted on the inside and read through the glass on the outside? I have a customer who wants a cling on his car window so he can remove it and still see through the glass. I don't have white ink so with your method I could just use cast white vinyl.

Thanks

creationspvl

Printing on clear static cling with SPOT COLOR White

Thanks Pat, Your help was very helpful including the links you provide. I was able to print my clear static cling with the white spot. Awesome :goodpost:. I subscribe to :signs101:, to get the wright answers from people in the industry, BETTER THAN SUPPLIERS....

player

How about printing the street view side on the static vinyl in reverse.

Then on white vinyl print the inside view and die-cut.

Then stick the white decal on the static to complete the 2 sided decal.