• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who does there own print head swap. Or do most use Techs.

The LoneStar

So its likly that I'm too frugal but I'm also pretty handy. I do all my own service on both my own machines. Head replacement, pumps dampers and capping stations. As well as every thing else to keep them happy. How many of you our there do there own too ?

spb

✨鞄➕
I just did a head replacement (Epson DX4) on a Roland SP-300V and I'm kind of an idiot. After an annoying manual physical vertical / bias alignment and a very easy horizontal alignment, and subsequently replacing some data cables and dampers, the quality is very good. Reading the service manual and watching YouTube videos were quite helpful.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I've helped 100's if not 1000's of people fix their own machines in my career. Most of my customers fix their own printer but there is a good percentage of them who get a tech just to be safe. It's not for everyone but I've found that sign people tend to be small business owners and entrepreneurs so they tend to have a DIY attitude towards things in general.

The LoneStar

I've helped 100's if not 1000's of people fix their own machines in my career. Most of my customers fix their own printer but there is a good percentage of them who get a tech just to be safe. It's not for everyone but I've found that sign people tend to be small business owners and entrepreneurs so they tend to have a DIY attitude towards things in general.
really good insight !! thanks

regardstobuck

I fall Under the category of entrepreneur/diy guy. I definitely can get myself in and out of some sticky situations! … right now I own an Epson s80600 and a hp latex 360. I’m wondering what is involved, and how hard is it to change the print head on the Epson? Any special tools or software? I don’t need a new printhead atm… just trying to gear up mentally for when it happens!

Steenland

Old Member
25 years in business (one-man shop) and I've never had a service call on any of the four HP printers I've owned. (Designjet 2500, Designjet 3500, Designjet Z6100, Latex 365.) Mainly, I'm cheap. But also the machines have been workhorses, and easy to work on when they need service, especially when you have the service manuals.

In 2011 I had to tear down the Z6100 to replace the entire trailing cable assembly. Several years later, when replacing the carriage belt, I was very pleased to discover the helpful notes I had left myself in the service manual when doing the previous maintenance!

MikePro

swapped quite a few dx4 printheads over the course of a decade running my mimaki jv3. DIY adds up, would have been over $20k, plus time waiting for tech scheduling, to replace ~$7k worth of printheads.

unmateria

I have been repairing printers since rosetta (those with a typewritter wheel) and matrix printers so new machines are near a joke to repair. The bad part is that now printheads are make like shit and shipped like a can of stones (all without silicates, in unsealed bags, etc). Last 3 printheads I have replaced for some machines where death on arrival and im still trying to recover the money (2 in aliexpress and 1 in digiprint)