• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why cant I Print Brown/Tan??

x2chris7x

Hi, Im working on a wrap for a motorcycle (Ninja) and the customer wants to match a pair of pants that he has from the army. It is a digital camo pattern, which I have created with no problem. The problem comes when we try to prints the colors. The camo is supposed to be different shades of brown/tan (there are only 4 colors), everytime I print a color sample an take it out into the sunlight it looks green!! Can anyone help me with this?? Ive tried many different mixtures of color, with still no luck, bumped up magenta to cancel out green, but nothing is working. Please Help!!

MachServTech

you are experiencing Metamerism!

Metameric failure

The term illuminant metameric failure is sometimes used to describe situations where two material samples match when viewed under one light source but not another. Most types of fluorescent lights produce an irregular or peaky spectral emittance curve, so that two materials under fluorescent light might not match, even though they are a metameric match to an incandescent "white" light source with a nearly flat or smooth emittance curve. Material colors that match under one source will often appear different under the other.

The only solution I have found is to print a "ring around" of 10% difference swatches arrayed in a grid giving their CMYK build so that I can quickly identify the match.

or you can just print this...take it outside and find the closest match.

http://www.summa.be/download/cmy.eps

S

scarface

To be honest, how does this work?

You print out the chart, then open swatches in illustrator and then what?

I'm new to printing and even more new to color management.

ChiknNutz

This is why being in complete control of your color management workflow is important if you want to be at the top of your game. You must know how to make your own profiles and have the right equipment to do so. It's been my experience that many "canned" profiles have a bit too much yellow in them, yielding a slight greenish hue to certain colors (actually to most colors, but you just don't notice it as much). If nothing else, try reducing the yellow a bit and see how that goes.