• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why Does Flexi and Signlab Have Crappy Display VS Illustrator and Corel (X5)?

player

Illustrator has such a nice looking view, while my version of Signlab 9 and when I have seen Flexi they suck? Corel X5 has a similar view to Illustrator. So what gives? Why do they suck so bad?

heyskull

You can ehance the view in signlab but all it does is slow how fast it redraws.
If you go back to earlier versions very little has changed visually in signlab.
Yes it will run adobe addons but that's about it.

SC

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Antialiasing and other display enhancement techniques.

I doubt that it's development costs. An educated guess is that those apps that do not use such features are doing so to reduce resources being used and to keep up speed. Some apps that I use such as Gerber Omega, Filter Forge, Genetica and others allow you to choose to display lower resolution images in the workspace, lower the sampling amount of the antialiasing or turn off antialiasing altogether.

In Filter Forge, for example, which can be extremely processor intensive, one can turn off anti aliasing to greatly reduce the time it takes to generate a high resolution image. I usually generate images at 3,600 x 3,600 pixels when using Filter Forge software. At that large of a size, antialiasing has pretty much no visible difference in the result and processing time can be reduced by 50% or more. An image that takes 45 minutes to process with antialiasing will take 20 to 22 minutes with it turned off.

From Webopedia.com:

In computer graphics, antialiasing is a software technique for diminishing jaggies - stairstep-like lines that should be smooth. Jaggies occur because the output device, the monitor or printer, doesn't have a high enough resolution to represent a smooth line. Antialiasing reduces the prominence of jaggies by surrounding the stairsteps with intermediate shades of gray (for gray-scaling devices) or color (for color devices). Although this reduces the jagged appearance of the lines, it also makes them fuzzier. Another method for reducing jaggies is called smoothing, in which the printer changes the size and horizontal alignment of dots to make curves smoother.

Antialiasing is sometimes called oversampling.

David Wright

This has always been an issue with me in Signlab. Yes, you can turn on enhanced view, but yes it will slow the redraw on everything. Seems unacceptable to me.

Actually, for the last few years, enhanced view doesn't even work. Tech told me to reinstall.