• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

why does "reduce points" refuse to work for me?

os101king

I've played with all the settings... when I'm creating contour cuts from bitmaps, I invariably get complicated outlines... which makes my contours either needlessly complex or so jagged that they come out ugly. This doesn't happen every time, but when it does I try the "reduce points" tool.. and it NEVER works. Any suggestions?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I've played with all the settings... when I'm creating contour cuts from bitmaps, I invariably get complicated outlines... which makes my contours either needlessly complex or so jagged that they come out ugly. This doesn't happen every time, but when it does I try the "reduce points" tool.. and it NEVER works. Any suggestions?

Are you selecting the vector(s) you want to reduce the points on before executing the command?

I rarely use the reduce point tool because it causes the path to change and lose detail with every click. You are better off to adjust your tolerances in the trace module before tracing if the results you are getting are not acceptable. You might also find that with low quality images, the tracing module named "Bezier" will do a better job for you. Look for it in the Bitmap Menu > Vectorize > Bezier. While you're there look also at the other tracing modules that are there. Each will work better or worse with different types and qualities of artwork.

Most of all you would be better off to learn to use the Bezier Pen Tool and the path editing tools in node edit.

Last edited:

Sign_Boy

Oops - back to what I was saying.
Are you just trying to get a contour cut around the bitmap or are you trying to convert the bitmap to a vector?

If you are trying to get a contour cut around the bitmap try this.
In PS or whatever program you may use copy your bitmap onto a new layer, convert it to grayscale.
Adjust the lightness darkness until the image is solid black add a bit of a gaussian blur or use the median filter on it.
Not to much though just enough to smooth the edges.
Take that image into Flexi place it in the exact spot you have the bitmap that you are using.
Click on the solid image convert that to vector using the besier option.
Next create a contour cut around your vector image.
Make sure you ditch the solid black bitmap as well as the vectorised version of it.

You may need to adjust the contour cut so it fits right.

I hope this made any sense to you.

os101king

Are you selecting the vector(s) you want to reduce the points on before executing the command?

I rarely use the reduce point tool because it causes the path to change and lose detail with every click. You are better off to adjust your tolerances in the trace module before tracing if the results you are getting are not acceptable. You might also find that with low quality images, the tracing module named "Bezier" will do a better job for you. Look for it in the Bitmap Menu > Vectorize > Bezier. While you're there look also at the other tracing modules that are there. Each will work better or worse with different types and qualities of artwork.

Most of all you would be better off to learn to use the Bezier Pen Tool and the path editing tools in node edit.

as always, excellent information. Sign boy, that style might wind up working more efficiently for me, since I do most of my design work (that I need to lay contour cuts on) in Photoshop.... thanks everybody, very helpful as always. Hope this thread can help others out as well.

Sign_Boy

as always, excellent information. Sign boy, that style might wind up working more efficiently for me, since I do most of my design work (that I need to lay contour cuts on) in Photoshop.... thanks everybody, very helpful as always. Hope this thread can help others out as well.

So I guess my rambling made some sense LOL.

Good luck with it.

os101king

You know it's funny, I come back to this thread occasionally because the question while solved has never actually been answered. FYI, I'm not talking around things here, the "reduce points" tool actually does NOTHING. Yes, the vector is selected and no using the tool does not reduce the number of points. No matter how many times I try, same result. No points go away.

Does someone have any more advice? I mean I've found ways AROUND it but never an explanation as to why a function of the software does not work.

I mean other than two. Faulty user or faulty programmer. Neither are acceptable. Can anyone tell me how to make it work? Maybe walk through the exact procedure without lecturing on bezier tools?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Subliminal message from the programmers hinting at reduced IQ points every time Flexisign is used.....

wayne k
guam usa

autoexebat

It didnt really help me, I still need to figure out a way to reduce nodes in flexi . I do my designs in Corel and bring them into flexi via PSD , when creating a contour cuts I have millions of nodes.

autoexebat

I don't bring the files in with corel , I make the design in corel but after that they go into photoshop ... I have to do this because corel doesnt want to export into a transparent background for some reason even though it is selected in the options.

J Hill Designs

I don't bring the files in with corel , I make the design in corel but after that they go into photoshop ... I have to do this because corel doesnt want to export into a transparent background for some reason even though it is selected in the options.

what do you export it as? transparent totally works with tiff and png

autoexebat

From Corel to PSD , I have to open the PSD and resave it or flexi wont see it as a transparent backgroud . After that I bring the PSD into flexi and setup the coutour cuts, next spend 3 hours cleaning up millions of nodes with the optamize curve tool. Here is a screenshot

Attachments

• nodes.jpg
    nodes.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 79