• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Why Gerber is for house wives and mommas boys....

synergy_jim

well...

I am not a Gerber Fan either. I have used an edge and it seems like yesterdays technology to me. But on the same note, I am not going to come on here and bash it. To each his own....

It's all about providing good product and making an honest profit.

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
that was good weasel.. I must say that was funny.
The whole thing is besides printing with white, I'm not sure why everyone would want to spend all that money on a gerber edge. Solvent Inkjets can print bigger, cleaner, cheaper and faster than the gerber edge. Why would you want to bottleneck your business with size limitations? Give me some examples of work done on the gerber edge that is 100% specialized. To be valid it has to be the most cost efficent way also.....

iSign

I restrained myself when I saw your post the other day & realized you are merely posting the whinings of an ignorant faggot (not that there's anything wrong with that)

...wait, can I say that... let me change it to "house wives and mommas boy" ..ok, so beyond that, I wouldn't even bother reading your rant. They say, what you don't know, can't hurt you... well... it can't make you any money either... and face it, there are things you don't know. No problem, we'll take the money you're leaving on the table.

Kevin T

Why bother? Nothing important above his signature either.
:Sleeping:

:Big Laugh I was thinking the same. But the pre-schooler part makes sense.

If you really knew what you were talking about perhaps someone would take you seriously. For instance, why do you see this as an either or situation? Why couldn't someone run both thermal and inkjet? Superwide and flatbed? Sprocket Gerber and large format cutter? Oh wait.......there is no reason because many of us run multiple print solutions from the Edge all the way up to 5metre Grand format and flatbed.

Now go back to the main page scroll down to "classified", click on "for sale" and list your Gerber for sale before your head explodes from stress.:Cool 2: Or at least have a drink and relax.:thumb:

signage

Lets see you print white on clear with your solvent printer! Also you solvent printer image will wipe off a lot easier than the thermal printing!

touch Control panels reverse printer on 10mm lexan white text. Let see you do that with you solvent printer.

Kevin T

I restrained myself when I saw your post the other day & realized you are merely posting the whinings of an ignorant faggot (not that there's anything wrong with that)

...wait, can I say that... let me change it to "house wives and mommas boy" ..ok, so beyond that, I wouldn't even bother reading your rant. They say, what you don't know, can't hurt you... well... it can't make you any money either... and face it, there are things you don't know. No problem, we'll take the money you're leaving on the table.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
WHEN YOU'RE RIGHT YOU'RE RIGHT! :thumb:

iSign

Give me some examples of work done on the gerber edge that is 100% specialized.

KSM.jpg

reverse applied edgeprint...
cost me $50... sold for $500

...10 years ago it was about the only option.
Seams didn't bother him... in fact he had me do another identical window the next year when his shop expanded.

WOW FRED... THAT WAS A FAST IMAGE EDIT...
I WAS ACTUALLY GOING TO MOVE IT MYSELF...
i JUST CAME BACK TO DO IT NOW. THANKS!

Last edited:

Browner

He did mention the Summa line, so maybe he's comparing the DC4 to an EDGE/Plotter combo - which would be about the same price.

I currently have an EDGE, and am trying to figure out myself what the next step should be, and the DC4 seems awfully tempting... but it's apparently a lot more "touchy" than the EDGE.

You can throw just about any material at the EDGE and have it print remarkably well - from magnetic to reflective to (as previously mentioned) lexan, and several UL listed Label Stocks... I don't think the Summa comes anywhere CLOSE to touching those materials in the realms of printing... let alone cutting.

I like my EDGE, it's served me well since 1999, but more and more I find myself subbing out the larger (in actual output size, not quantity) jobs to local companies with wider printers... to the point where I think it would be feasible for me to have my own.

My dilemna now is thermal vs inkjet... there aren't that many options for thermal out there - and I'm wondering if it's soon to be a "dead" technology.

iSign

here's another old edge job.
This one's about 7 years old... before outdoor inkjet sign printing machines were around much, besides the electrostatic scotchprint.

Sure, this job might get done on an inkjet today... but it was a $22,000.00 job using high performance 2 mil vinyl, printed as CMYK, on satin finish clear vinyl, nice and thin to conform to the subtle wall texture, durable against cleaning and UV from sunshine. paid for the equipment with this one job :thumb:

Attachments

• hanawork.jpg
    hanawork.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 156

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i don't know how long other plotters run without sending out for major maintenance...but i have a gerber super sprint (bought in '88 or '89)....it was sent to gerber once in 2001 for maintenance...i don't currently have it up and running because it's not necessary, but if i needed to, it just a matter of unwrapping the plastic around it, hooking it up to my pc and sending a file...

animenick65

We have an envision 15" plotter here. Can send runs of 1000 inches or more with no worries about it tracking off. Sent the thing in for repair once in the last 10 years.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
We have an envision 15" plotter here. Can send runs of 1000 inches or more with no worries about it tracking off. Sent the thing in for repair once in the last 10 years.

have the 15in envision too....my only complaint is that sometimes it goes too fast...but i can always adjust that if i need to..

David Wright

I hate to see if he told you guys what a waste Apple computers are. Talk about circling the wagons.
I have had an Edge and I made many of the same complaints.
Yes, you can make money and do a lot of the work arounds to make it do what you want, but nowadays there are much better options.

Tiling? If you have to, yes, but that is a serious compromise with today's technology.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Tiling? If you have to, yes, but that is a serious compromise with today's technology.

i see alot of questions on this forum in regards to the inkjet printers - most of them are about the lines being clogged, or colors not printing correctly....

i don't have that problem with my edge...if a print has a line in it, i clean my print head...i don't waste yards of material, hours of time to get a clean print....so yes, maybe i have to tile my graphics, but i also don't have to charge extra for anticipated machine issues....

as said by others, gerber machines are workhorses....they get the job done, and rarely need to be "fixed"

Techman

i see alot of questions on this forum in regards to the inkjet printers - most of them are about the lines being clogged, or colors not printing correctly....

i don't have that problem with my edge...if a print has a line in it, i clean my print head...i don't waste yards of material, hours of time to get a clean print....so yes, maybe i have to tile my graphics, but i also don't have to charge extra for anticipated machine issues....

HUH?
Who wastes yard of vinyl? I dont. Who has clogged lines? I don't.
Who has a clogged head? I don't. My old encad runs first time every time. I just ran about 45 ft of posters for some office building. First time every time. not a hitch..

As for colors not printing right. Thats operator error.