• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Why no clear or varnish for Mutoh MP31 inks?

netsol

last month we bought a Mutoh VJ1617H running MP31 inks.
we have not set it up yet, that will be a project for end of january
we are ordering printhead, dampers, capping station ink lines, etc

Now my question. the machine had a completed 60" banner on the take up reel (all inks are expired)
we noticed that when you take a cloth saturated with isopropyl, the banner (18 oz gloss banner) the ink wipes off
cleanly, it isn't breaking the surface of the banner.

Why is there not a varnish or clear coat option for this ink set?
is it possible they were printing on an incompatible substrate?

bear in mind, the machine is not yet setup, i am reaching conclusions based on the job the previous owner left on the takeup reel

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'm not 100% sure but it might be that the MP11 inks are a UV ink and the MP31 is, I believe, alcohol based. I'm thinking that difference probably has something to do with it.

netsol

it just seems funny that i can wipe off the "new improved, upgraded" ink with an alcohol wipe

we got sidetracked with a couple other projects, but i will be ordering a printhead from you in a week or two

Superior_Adam

last month we bought a Mutoh VJ1617H running MP31 inks.
we have not set it up yet, that will be a project for end of january
we are ordering printhead, dampers, capping station ink lines, etc

Now my question. the machine had a completed 60" banner on the take up reel (all inks are expired)
we noticed that when you take a cloth saturated with isopropyl, the banner (18 oz gloss banner) the ink wipes off
cleanly, it isn't breaking the surface of the banner.

Why is there not a varnish or clear coat option for this ink set?
is it possible they were printing on an incompatible substrate?

bear in mind, the machine is not yet setup, i am reaching conclusions based on the job the previous owner left on the takeup reel
The MP31 ink is similar to eco solvent. If your wanting some chemical resistance you will need to laminate. You take any eco solvent printer and you will be able to wipe inks off with Isopropyl Alcohol.

netsol

The UH11 and UH 21 are UV Inks. The MP31 ink is multi purpose and is equivalent to eco solvent ink. You only get varnish/clear in UV inks.
yes, but there are ink sets for the MP11 (soy based (?)) that comes with a varnish component, the vh1617h was released with MP11 inks, but mutoh discontinued the MP11 inks and you "upgrade" (firmware flash) to MP31

we have not yet replaced the printhead, so i have not printed, but, judging from the "sample job" completed banner that was on the takeup reel when i got the machine, you can remove the printing with an alcohol wipe . i realize i can spray a liquid laminate, but i would prefer a clear coat as part of my inkset

Superior_Adam

yes, but there are ink sets for the MP11 (soy based (?)) that comes with a varnish component, the vh1617h was released with MP11 inks, but mutoh discontinued the MP11 inks and you "upgrade" (firmware flash) to MP31

we have not yet replaced the printhead, so i have not printed, but, judging from the "sample job" completed banner that was on the takeup reel when i got the machine, you can remove the printing with an alcohol wipe . i realize i can spray a liquid laminate, but i would prefer a clear coat as part of my inkset
OK but that goes back to my original statement. The MP11 is a UV cured ink. The MP31 is not. You will not get a clear/varnish in the MP31. If they no longer have a flexible UV ink for that printer and can only go to MP31 then they are virtually turning that into what would be their standard Eco Solvent printer and are no longer going to support that as a UV printer. You best bet would be to contact a MUTOH sales rep or a company that sells MUTOH to get the direct answer. If they no longer produce a UV Cured flex ink you will not get a clear/varnish. My guess would be when it is flashed to MP31 ink set is that it disables the UV curing lights as they are not needed for a non UV cure ink. To be completely honest I would hate printing a banner or anything else large using a clear coat as it would take forever to print. Back before we had UV roll to roll printers for years I printed banners using the MUTOH 1614 and 1624 and did not have any issues with them being outdoors. You should not be cleaning any print that does not have protection with harsh chemicals like alcohol.

netsol

superior adam
it is not a uv cured ink
i wish that were true
there is no uv curing component on the machine, i buy a service manual as soon as i buy any piece of equipment (including the pencil sharpener)
i have also had this discussion with 2 mutoh servicing dealers.
you are confusing UH11 and MP11 inks
MP refers to multi purpose (rigid and flexible)
the inks are set from a ridiculous amount of heat blowing across the substrate

certainly makes me consider adding UV curing lights, and a chemistry change. but, i think we will give it a try as mutoh released it first.
it was awarded "product of the year" (yes, i know you bribe someone to get the award) when the product line was released, so i may as well give it a try before we start adding circuitry to it, and experimenting with UV resistant pumps

i imagine spraying liquid laminate will be easier

and no, there is no reason to liquid laminate a banner, we have 2 rolands and another mutoh to eco solvent print banners, we would just like to minimize "print & stick" to coro, sintra & polystyrene