• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

win 98 outlook express question

gabagoo

Just curious if anyone knows how to reload outlook express for win 98 back over an existing version. Mine is acting really weird and feel it is corrupt. If I have the win disk can I get it to simply overwrite outlook by itself? Is it even possible to repair?

Graphics2u

Just curious if anyone knows how to reload outlook express for win 98 back over an existing version. Mine is acting really weird and feel it is corrupt. If I have the win disk can I get it to simply overwrite outlook by itself? Is it even possible to repair?
You might be able to go into add/remove system componets in control panel. Remove it and then add it to see if it will ask for the disk to reinstall it. Just a guess though.

gabagoo

But if I remove it, how do I put it back in? It came origianlly with Windows 98 so can it be installed by itself off the disk or do I have to reinstall windows completly? If I do then will it alter anything I have running currently?

Graphics2u

But if I remove it, how do I put it back in? It came origianlly with Windows 98 so can it be installed by itself off the disk or do I have to reinstall windows completly? If I do then will it alter anything I have running currently?
I believe you choose Outlook Express from a list when you go to add components.

signage

Backup before you remove it in case it doesn't show to be added!:doh:

gabagoo

I have now lost all my emails in my inbox. I desperatley need to know if I reload win98 from scratch will it overwright and everything will be fine ...programs settings etc or will it wipe eveything out?

gabagoo

You're living in the Stone Age and using a corruptible mail client.
Yeh, I said it! :rolleyes:

you are correct sir. I also have win xp in 2 computers and win 2000 in another. I run Signlab 5 and have had problems running it in win 2000 and I know it wont run in xp so I am sort of a prisoner of win98 for now. I did upgrade to signlab8 for my laptop but I am so used to ver5 and basically use it for all out vinyl cutting and email needs. So back to the question...can I over write win98 over the old and everything will be fine or will I lose all registries and programming? I need to know fast!

Shovelhead

you are correct sir. I also have win xp in 2 computers and win 2000 in another. I run Signlab 5 and have had problems running it in win 2000 and I know it wont run in xp so I am sort of a prisoner of win98 for now. I did upgrade to signlab8 for my laptop but I am so used to ver5 and basically use it for all out vinyl cutting and email needs. So back to the question...can I over write win98 over the old and everything will be fine or will I lose all registries and programming? I need to know fast!

Mozilla Thunderbird

Drip Dry

Couldn't you install Thunderbird and use that for your mail. I believe it will read your old e-mails in to that. I'm not totally sure about that so you need to do your research on it.
I think Shovelhead is well versed in Thunderbird, so I would take his advise.

gabagoo

Couldn't you install Thunderbird and use that for your mail. I believe it will read your old e-mails in to that. I'm not totally sure about that so you need to do your research on it.
I think Shovelhead is well versed in Thunderbird, so I would take his advise.

yes your right but then it starts asking me all these questions about pop this and outgoing that...thats what I need to avoid as I dont have the answers and trying to get them is mind boggling. I have 4 emails and I want to do this as painless as possible. I actually put the win98 disk in and it started its thing then I gotr nervous about 10 minutes in fearing for the worst. I know with win 2000 it can go in and do repairs but I dont see this option with 98.

Shovelhead

yes your right but then it starts asking me all these questions about pop this and outgoing that...thats what I need to avoid as I dont have the answers and trying to get them is mind boggling. I have 4 emails and I want to do this as painless as possible. I actually put the win98 disk in and it started its thing then I gotr nervous about 10 minutes in fearing for the worst. I know with win 2000 it can go in and do repairs but I dont see this option with 98.

Embrace technology and "import" everything into Thunderbird!

N2Harpz

oh do you knowhere I can get a buggy whip!!!! :rock-n-roll:

Yea .. I can get you a buggy whip .... I have an Amish buddy that uses them all the time ...... LOL

My advice is to save all you have. Then wipe out the hard drive and reload everything. Makes it just like new again. ..... after ten years a computer can get pretty junked up.