• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Win7/Upgrade or full?

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I have a spare computer we bought from a local university sale. The volume licensing issue precluded our receiving an OS disc with it. It is locked into a bootup loop which won't let it open up fully. I had a friend who is an IT guy at Lockheed look at it yesterday. He said the hardware is all fine. He thinks some drivers got overwritten and it needs the OS re-installed.

The computer has WinXp Pro in it now. Can I just buy a Win7 upgrade or will I need full version? I seem to recall last time I upgraded a computer you had to have the previous OS disc to insert during part of the upgrade installation. Is this still the case or will an upgrade be fine? THANKS!!! (I can't get a hold of my IT guy today to ask him).

There is no 'upgrade' from Windows XP to Windows 7, as there is with Vista to 7. You'll need to perform a clean installation.

royster13

The upgrade from XP to Win 7.0 is a "clean install" but you can purchase an "upgrade" to do this.....

But you have make sure your XP licence can be upgraded to Win 7.0....So you need to review the terms of your licence, transfer it in to your name if you can and then upgrade....For example, some but not every OEM version may not qualify for upgrade pricing.

Techman

There is no 'upgrade' from Windows XP to Windows 7, as there is with Vista to 7. You'll need to perform a clean installation.

You can use a in 7 upgrade. But it has to be a reformat install.