• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

window 7

choucove

I agree. For the vast majority of consumers 4 GB of memory is more than plenty for what they are doing. I remember last year Toms Hardware did several tests to determine currently what the ideal amount of RAM is for most consumer PCs. They showed that 3 GB is the most ideal amount of RAM as it allows for enough room for running multiple 32-bit applications but very rarely was more than that ever used on a system. Even when playing a lot of high-demand games or demanding applications will your system use more than 4 GB.

paxas

Windows 7 64 bit

I think you may be missing the point, we are talking about computers used for serious work !!!
(along with all the other small demand stuff too).
Yes, I find that 3 gb is okay if running just a few apps, but try running multi apps like Coreldraw, Flexisign,Versaworks etc, with 50 undo levels with bitmaps, as well as the others and you start getting near the threshold of 3 gb and the computer will start trying to use virtual memory a little too much- {big slowdown}.

Techman

Yes, I find that 3 gb is okay if running just a few apps, but try running multi apps like Coreldraw, Flexisign

I do it all the time every day with a 4 gig machine. No problems. The machine is still faster than I am.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I think heavy users of the latest 64bit PhotoShop would see some speed up when working with hi-rez wrap files that push over the 32bit memory limit.

wayne k
guam usa

Keith Rae

If your computer has a 64 bit processor and motherboard chipset, use a 64 bit operating system to get the full usage from your system. Programs that can run in 64 bit mode will run faster and 32 bit programs will still run in 32 bit mode. To get the best performance out of your computer, the operating system used should be the one the cpu and chipset were designed for.

jemmyell

Annnnnd your CPU must support virtualization.

I love these threads.... Should I buy this new refrigerator, or should I find some sort of box, to put ice in...

Move on...

The CPU does not have to support virtualization. I bought a Toshiba laptop for my daughter with Windows 7 Pro (32 bit) and the Windows XP mode software installed fine. There is no CPU requirement in the brochure here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/default.aspx

BUT I did read that Software Developers would better performance if the CPU does support virtualization. Not a big requirement here I think.

-James

SignBurst PCs

There was a vitualization requirement for the CPU for a while (XP Mode in Win 7), but that has since been changed.

As far as 32 bit vs 64 bit and < 4GB vs > 4GB of RAM goes, it depends on the user and his/her workload, the software being used, and how much mutli-tasking one likes to do. With modern software, users can see a significant boost in performance and efficiency when using a 64 bit OS and more that 4GB of RAM.

Personally, I can't stand to be on a 32 Bit workstation any more. I am a bit spoiled and really enjoy the speed.

mtroup

Just wanted to note since I am also in the technology field (I have an ISP as well as travel to do network wiring and computer maintenance/support for businesses) that the biggest advantage of Windows 7 is that even though 32-bit programs can only use the 2GB or 3GB limits as in the past, that with Windows 7 it allocates/allows the use of 3GB per 32-bit process..

See this link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx

But, most importantly for those of you who don't need the full explanation is that this means that you can have 12GB of RAM (or more) in your Windows 7 64-bit system and the 64-bit apps will run as normal but you can have 4 (or more) 32-bit programs open at the same time and EACH program will get 3GB of memory available to it.

So it would nearly be like having separate machines for each program each with the normal memory limits in a 32-bit environment. If you choose to run a 32-bit system then all 4 programs would share the same amount of memory.

I hope I explained that well.. it truly is a big performance increase over what we've had in the past.

choucove

Just wanted to note since I am also in the technology field (I have an ISP as well as travel to do network wiring and computer maintenance/support for businesses) that the biggest advantage of Windows 7 is that even though 32-bit programs can only use the 2GB or 3GB limits as in the past, that with Windows 7 it allocates/allows the use of 3GB per 32-bit process..

See this link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx

But, most importantly for those of you who don't need the full explanation is that this means that you can have 12GB of RAM (or more) in your Windows 7 64-bit system and the 64-bit apps will run as normal but you can have 4 (or more) 32-bit programs open at the same time and EACH program will get 3GB of memory available to it.

So it would nearly be like having separate machines for each program each with the normal memory limits in a 32-bit environment. If you choose to run a 32-bit system then all 4 programs would share the same amount of memory.

I hope I explained that well.. it truly is a big performance increase over what we've had in the past.

Another wonderful selling point in Windows 7, and one of the key reasons why I am pushing so hard to get all the computers at our office updated to Windows 7. We are still contemplating leaving the one RIP computer at our Hays office that runs the Mimaki JV3 on Windows XP just because of any possible compatibility issues that could arise, but everything else could stand to benefit from the incredible benefits that Win7 bring with it.

To clarify my meaning above, I guess I'm saying that most households or home offices will rarely use more than 4 GB of RAM on their system doing the basic stuff that we most all do. However, if you have MORE memory than this you can get some really great benefits of course, it never hurts to have more! Currently we are planning for computers that support 16 GB or even 24 GB of RAM and can create a RAMDisk from part of that to use for temp files, which will be several times faster than even the fastest SSD for the same price. It's all the benefits you can have from more and more RAM!

When it comes to compatibilities with Windows 7 64-bit, I've only come across one thing that was particular and didn't wanna work because of running a 64-bit system instead of a 32-bit system (besides drivers, of course.) That was iTunes, which specifically has a 64-bit version to download instead of the standard 32-bit. That's it!