• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 7 64 bit and Versaworks problem

Jim Hill

I am using Versaworks 5.2 software with Windows 7 64 bit and when I switch to Versaworks it is 32 bit and hard to read.

My question is there a 64 bit version of Versaworks I can use with windows 7 to be compatible?

Jim Hill

The version of Versaworks I am using is 5.3 not 5.2 if that makes any difference and I am using Versaworks as the administrator.

Is there another version I should be using that would be more compatible with windows 7 64 bit?

Thank you for your help. Jim

Jim Hill

Would the answer to my problem be using the Versaworks Dual which is 64 bit?

I only run one Roland Printer.

Jim

WildWestDesigns

I can't speak of Versaworks specifically, but typically 32 bit programs should be able to work fine in a 64 bit OS. They won't see all the resources compared to a 64 bit system, but it should still work. That's why MS has the ProgramFilesx86 folder is for these programs on a 64 bit system.

Now, I don't know if it's a resolution issue (since you said that it was hard to read) or if maybe it's changing the theme on you because it can't take advantage of the newer eye candyish themes that might be something else. Could always try running it in the "classic" theme.

Although reading some of the forums, it seems to be that Versaworks does better with Win 7 Pro or Ultimate with regard to 64 bit editions. I can't really imagine why, unless there is a dependency missing in the Home version that's in the Pro or Ultimate version.

WildWestDesigns

Based on this, they only support Pro and Ultimate with regard to 64 bit versions. I don't know if you have Home or not as that wasn't mentioned.

Attachments

• Versaworks Support.png
    Versaworks Support.png
    46.3 KB · Views: 137

SignBurst PCs

I am fairly certain that there is a little confusion here. Versaworks is a 32 bit app, but it is compatible with 64 bit Windows 7 and would normally appear just fine. Being a 32 bit app really doesn't cause it to look any different than a 64 bit app.

If it is not rendering correctly on your screen, there is something else going on (i.e. video card or driver). Could you send a screenshot of what you are running into?

WildWestDesigns

I am fairly certain that there is a little confusion here. Versaworks is a 32 bit app, but it is compatible with 64 bit Windows 7 and would normally appear just fine.

Visually, it shouldn't, unless it's an older 32 bit program, which this shouldn't be. Then you might run into visual "problems". Can't handle Aero etc (CS2 always changed how Vista and 7 displayed things).

What surprised me is that Home Premium (32 or 64 bit) isn't supported, unless they need something like Work Groups or something that isn't available in Home Premium, unless I was looking at a old spec sheet (it did only mention ver. 4 after all).

WildWestDesigns

That version of Versaworks is okay. It should run on Win 7 64 Bit.

No restrictions to Home Premium like with Ver. 4 (either 32 bit or 64 bit)?

I tried to see if there was a chart like that for ver. 5, but nothing come up. I see that version 4 is good for 32 bit and 64 bit, but only for Pro and Ultimate versions. Not Home Premium either 32 bit or 64 bit. It may still run, but if it's not supported, it may cause some hinky actions.

I don't know, I'm just trying to figure things out. I've never seen where Home Premium wasn't supported, but yet Pro and Ultimate was. Now 32 bit versus 64 bit and what is or isn't supported, that I could understand. If it's 64 bit can't run it on 32 bit etc. This is the first time that I saw support wasn't forthcoming on something like Home Premium versus Pro or Ult.

WildWestDesigns

Honestly, I have never tried. I suspect that it would run on Home Premium, but just isn't supported.

I just have to wonder why.

I could understand not supporting it being run in a VM, I can even understand why MS has certain products that they want either Pro and/or Ultimate (like running XPM) before a user can run them.

I'm just not understanding it here.

I can understand that software vendors won't support running their software in VMs due to extra complications could arise. Just why limit Home Premium? Is there some "dependency" not being met?

Joe House

In my experience it will work most times, but when it doesn't you're on your own. Most of the time, when there are problems, it relates to networking with the printers. I don't think there's been a problem with visual appearance of the program, unless the screen resolution isn't high enough, then I've seen the bottom of some screens go below the bottom of the screen and you can't click on "OK" to get out of a job setting window or something. Most often on laptops that I've seen. In this case, I usually just jump to a different tab and hit enter. Some tabs work, some won't. My first try is always on the "File Format" tab.