• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Windows 7 upgrade question for dummy's

phototec

Now that Win XP is no longer supported, I was thinking to upgrade the software on a older computer to Win 7, has anyone done this?

Before starting my graphics business I worked for two large companies that had IT departments, so I never had to do any actual upgrade work on my graphic workstation, as a mater of fact, you would get in serious trouble if you ever loaded any software or tried to open the box.

If I purchase the Win 7 software, is this something I could do by just placing the DVD in the drive and Windows would configure automatically?

Or is there a lot more to an OS upgrade?

Thanks and sorry for what may appear as a the basic question to you computer geeks out there.

:thankyou:

SignBurst PCs

It won't be a true "upgrade", but a clean install from Win XP to Win 7. Make sure that you backup anything that you want to keep as you will be starting over.

Depending on the age of the hardware, it may have all the drivers built in. In that case, it would be a very easy installation.

trakers

Two primary things to consider so you don't get bitten.

Be sure your motherboard has Win 7 drivers available. Otherwise MB based hardware like sound may not function.

Be especially cognizant of your existing software's compatibility with Win 7. Two primary reasons we have not upgraded.

First Windows XP is rock solid.

Secondly, neither our version of Flexi or Wasatch is Win 7 compatible. We have purchased Win 7 Pro which has a "real" Windows XP mode but we haven't tried to see if the software mentioned will run properly. I'm guessing not with the dongles and such.

Good luck

Last edited:

knucklehead

Checked on upgrading XP, to Win7. Decided to get a Win7 machine to internet with. Keeping the XP machine just for running cutter, and printer. Course, have to get another monitor now.

Win7 machine was about same price as upgrade. $9.00 to ship upgrade disc, $12.75 to ship Win7 tower, and keyboard.

WildWestDesigns

Be especially cognizant of your existing software's compatibility with Win 7. Two primary reasons we have not upgraded.

That would be my primary concern, although, I would look into running XP (if you have an installation disk and serial number) in something like VMWare within Win 7 (or whatever current OS version you want to run)

First Windows XP is rock solid.

So is Win 7 and I couldn't wait to get away from XP even when it was new, but that's just me.

player

I upgraded an HP Core2 Duo PC a few years ago. Win7 formats the drive and loads. It would be good to buy from a computer store that you can call and get help if required.

However I agree that you should keep that machine intact, and buy a new machine. It takes years to load and configure everything. You won't know what you're missing until it's too late.

I would also recommend getting Win7 64bit Professional. It will run both 32 and 64 bit programs. You don't need Win7 Ultimate though. It has large networking stuff not normally required.

OldPaint

when i do OS changes..........I UPGRADE THE HARD DRIVE........just to be safe, i start with a NEW, clean hard drive. this way iam not taking a chance of doing the upgrade.......then in a short period of time having a 5-6 year old hard take a dump. this way i got all the info on a separate hard drive.....that can be put into a external hard drive case........info can then be put on new hard drive, and this way i got a backup of all the older stuff. iam going to buy a SSD DRIVE....... then put WIN 7 ON IT. I CAN THEN leave both hard drives in the same computer and use a dual boot.........and then pick which hard drive i want to boot from.

JoeBoomer

Don't waste your money. Spend a little extra money and buy a new 64bit computer w/ Windows 7 installed already.

Techman

Now that Win XP is no longer supported,

If you are a little handy with the registery in windows.

start regedit surf to HKLM\Sytem\WPA create a new key call PosReady. Click the new key, add new DWORD value, set to 1.
Windows Update will see it as a POS Windows XP computer and allow updates until the end of the decade.

Christian @ 2CT Media

If you are a little handy with the registery in windows.

start regedit surf to HKLM\Sytem\WPA create a new key call PosReady. Click the new key, add new DWORD value, set to 1.
Windows Update will see it as a POS Windows XP computer and allow updates until the end of the decade.

Didn't the last update microsoft sent out close this loophole? I have a PC that this loophole is on, now it says embedded key invalid.

Techman

some said it was. There were some threats it would be,,,
However, A recent check found updates still coming for those who have a tweakers mind.
Besides. who would update a working machine anyway...
The official M$ stance is..
If you do this and break it,,, too bad..

Techman

just got the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2014 (KB890830) edition,, so yes, it still works at this location..