• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wireless connection to Edge FX Printer

artofacks1

Does anyone on here use a wireless connection to their Edge FX Printer?

I have a wireless router o the second floor but the printer is downstairs. I do not want to run a cable that long.

Thanks for your ideas and feedback.

It should work, in theory.

Does anyone on here use a wireless connection to their Edge FX Printer?

I have a wireless router o the second floor but the printer is downstairs. I do not want to run a cable that long.

Thanks for your ideas and feedback.

You need a wireless router on each end. So plug the Edge into one of the ethernet ports on the back of the wireless router, and your Mac should see it (assuming wireless is working on your Mac). The fact that you are running a Mac with parallels may be more of a challenge. But if Omega sees it on the network, then it should work. Do you know how to look for the printer in the Add Gerber Vinyl Printer/Network dialog box? Before you start, turn the Edge on, set a static IP address on the menu pad (Not DHCP).

Go to Start/All Programs/Gerber Omega 5.00/GSP Tray. It will show up in your Windows Task Bar - lower right. Right click it and go to "Install Vinyl Printer." Now when you look for it by clicking the little button to the right of "Devices Found", it should display the IP address you gave it. Once it does click "Add." Then it will show up in the list at the bottom. Then you should be good to go. Try sending a job to it.

AddEdgeDialogBox.jpg

Technology is great, when it works! If you need more help, call into us. 800-232-8018.

Now that you have done all that, get your drill out and drop a network cable down to the hub and plug your Mac into it. Gerber says they have had limited luck with it, and it is not recommended for consistent output. When you are in the middle of the job and the data gets lost, it can become costly. And Murphy will show up when it's your biggest job for your most important client, guaranteed.

Good luck,

Doug Goodloe

artofacks1

Doug,

Thanks for the help.

So, Gerber recommends I stay wired instead of wireless due to interruption problems in the middle of jobs ?

Artofacts1:

Even with a secure connection, there can be interruptions in the exchange of information over a switch/network. When it happens (thankfully not often), the job is lost. People get frustrated when it costs them money. Then they want to throw blame. GSP basically said "if you want to avoid that" run a cable. The Edge is constantly reaching out to the software for more info when it's running the job. With the nature of a network sending data packs back and forth, you are more likely to run into interruptions that can't be resolved. You are welcome to try it, but why take the chance?