• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wow, that's a high price

BillyBoy86

slight rant, i suppose.
2 different customers in the last month.
i feel that my prices are very low on these items, then i get this sort of thing.

1st, pair of magnetic signs, 12" x 12"...i did a pair previously for her, exactly the same, she comes back to pick up the 2nd set and says, "i thought you said these would be $12 each?!"
never did i say that, 12" square with 2 colors of vinyl.

TWELVE DOLLARS?!

2nd one, today, i had to call the lady back, didn't talk to her upfront
3'x8' banner, needs to be outside for a month, by the sound of the phone call, they'd like a full color "fall theme"
apparently her boss says they can get something for $60

SIXTY DOLLARS!?

are they really finding stuff this cheap?
if so, where?

i already feel like i'm getting shorted on banners, magnets, etc.

"made to order! just come on right through the drive thru! it'll be ready on the other side! how much, you ask!? free!! step right up!\

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't worry about it, they'll always find it cheaper. Ya hafta get what ya need, to stay in business or else, ya might as well go fishing or something for fun, if it's gonna be free.

Most likely, they're finding it on the internet. Let 'em go there, pay the freight on top, not get the colors they want and not get it on time. Simmer down and have a drink. That'll relax ya................:toasting:

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
The boss probably saw a vistaprint ad... and you can get 50% off with a promo code. With promo code a 4x8 outdoor banner with grommets for $62.47 (plus shipping I'm sure). WYSIWYG....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-14 at 4.39.11 PM.PDF
    165.1 KB · Views: 137

BillyBoy86

Don't worry about it, they'll always find it cheaper. Ya hafta get what ya need, to stay in business or else, ya might as well go fishing or something for fun, if it's gonna be free.

Most likely, they're finding it on the internet. Let 'em go there, pay the freight on top, not get the colors they want and not get it on time. Simmer down and have a drink. That'll relax ya................:toasting:

It's been one of those weeks, Gino. that bottle of bourbon might be a little emptier tonight, haha.
when i heard what she was looking for, i got a little pumped though. i have some original photos i took last year that would be perfect for the background. oh well.

on another note though, i did meet with a client this morning who wants me to replace some faded vinyl on a sign.'
no big deal, i did one for him previously at another location, so i said on the phone, "it'll be about the same price as the last one, assuming the signs are the same size"
well they aren't, i measured this morning, and i said, "brad, this sign is going to use much more material....probably going to double the price i quoted"

his reply, "no problem"

bannertime

There's a local printer that advertises $17 something for 3x8s. You get to their site and it's like a build it yourself kit. There's also those companies that advertise without grommets or any type of reinforcement. When you add those options, it ends up being higher than the typical market price.

BillyBoy86

There's a local printer that advertises $17 something for 3x8s. You get to their site and it's like a build it yourself kit. There's also those companies that advertise without grommets or any type of reinforcement. When you add those options, it ends up being higher than the typical market price.

I'll have to drive by the customers place and see if they ended up getting one done, i know that, because of the online deal they saw, i didn't get the job. i'll have to go see if they ordered it online, and what kind of quality they got.

but even still, if it does end up being more in the end, it still causes me to waste time explaining this to them, and typically ends with them thinking i'm not being honest with them

BillyBoy86

I think this is the idea of lot of people walk in the door with. They're assuming you're a used car salesman.

i think you're right.
most of my business is not walk in though, so that's good for me.
but the customers i was referring to were walk in.

gabagoo

Had a designer ask me to quote 18" x 18" rush digital print applied to coro...I had 2 days to rush it out for 10 pieces. I told him $19.00 each. he said why so much? WTF you talking about, that is cheap for fast turn around. he says he can get them for $6.00 each, but they can't do the turn around...I got the job... I like to feel that my quality will be better especially when I see how most flatbed prints look...dull and washed out for the most part.

BillyBoy86

Had a designer ask me to quote 18" x 18" rush digital print applied to coro...I had 2 days to rush it out for 10 pieces. I told him $19.00 each. he said why so much? WTF you talking about, that is cheap for fast turn around. he says he can get them for $6.00 each, but they can't do the turn around...I got the job... I like to feel that my quality will be better especially when I see how most flatbed prints look...dull and washed out for the most part.

haha, people will definitely spend more when they need to meet a deadline.
i'm assuming most of these people i'm referring to aren't looking for quality.
price seems to be their first and only concern.
plus these customers wanted my designs, they provided me with almost nothing.
so $60 for design and banner is what she was expecting

CanuckSigns

My favorite was a banner on a local health food store that said support small business, shop local. They got it at vistaprint, you can tell because their banners have a small bar code in the bottom corrner.

BillyBoy86

My favorite was a banner on a local health food store that said support small business, shop local. They got it at vistaprint, you can tell because their banners have a small bar code in the bottom corrner.

i deal with this all the time with local bands.
every other facebook post from these guys is support your local musicians, so i reply with support your local sign makers, screen printers and printers.
you tell me i should pay to see your band because you're local, yet you only use vista print and customink.com

Andy D

Like Gino said, it's not worth worrying about.. some people want to eat at a fine steak restaurant, to get great food and
great service, some people would rather get the dollar menu from Mcdonalds.

Decide what customer base you're going to serve and don't try and make everyone happy by being "everything to everyone"
that's a recipe for disaster. I see that all the time, a new business opens up, everyone has good things to say about it, the place is always busy,
and then six months later they have to shut down... reason being, the were more concerned with making everyone that walks into their door happy
than making a profit.

You're not in business to make banners or signs, You're in business to make money!
If you can make someone happy and make a profit, great, if you can't, let them go somewhere else.

2B

i deal with this all the time with local bands.
every other facebook post from these guys is support your local musicians, so i reply with support your local sign makers, screen printers and printers.
you tell me i should pay to see your band because you're local, yet you only use vista print and customink.com

or better yet, they use these sites to create the design and then screenshot and print off the design bring it to you and want you to "make it better looking" but you have to match their pricing

trik

Gino is so right, you have to get what you need to meet your overhead/profit. When someone says they found it online cheaper, I say I understand, but I will not compete with online prices as I have to make a living. I used to be scared I was too high or maybe I should go lower, but when you do it really costs you time and money, and I would rather go have so fun than work for free...lol Stand your ground, if the prices you have are what you need to stay in business, then don't lower them ...lol Good luck!!!!