• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrap Adhesive Issue

Has anyone had an issue with wrap vinyl adhesive pulling off when installing? The vinyl I am using is Vvivid Demon Black, gloss, it’s a new roll. I’m not sure if it’s a bad batch, a climate issue, or user-error. But I have never had this happen before. The car was thoroughly washed, clay-bared, rinsed, and prepped with Iso-alcohol just before installation.

Here is a bit more on the issue. When the adhesive is exposed to the air it tends to behave like it should, I can lift the vinyl off the car’s surface and reposition it around as usual without the adhesive coming off. It’s as if the adhesive needs to “” breathe” a bit before is acts like it should – a low tack adhesive when using light pressure.

Sidenote: I have wrapped in colder climates, using the same brand, a solid gloss black in a 50-degree climate and the adhesive did not come off. The solid gloss colors seem to be thicker than the specialty colors, so I’m wondering if I need to install them in a climate over 80 degrees.

If the cause can be narrowed down, I’d really appreciate it! Thanks!

*Update - Vvivid has a warranty on their products, so I will follow this course. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20240501_102814009.jpg
    IMG_20240501_102814009.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20240501_102830419_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240501_102830419_HDR.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20240501_102808284_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240501_102808284_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20240501_102803302.jpg
    IMG_20240501_102803302.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
vivid is a calendared, very cheaply made vinyl that has a high failure rate. It's not intended for wrapping cars.
Thanks! I've used their solid color wraps before and had no issues. It's just now that I'm discovering some problems with their "premium" line of metallics. They are thin, but so are most chrome vinyl wraps. However, I will be switching to Avery and 3M.
The good thing is that Vvivid offers a warranty on their products, and I should qualify for a full refund/replacement. The wrap industry is a megalith, it generated over 7 Billion in revenue in 2023 and still growing, and I'm sure these companies are trying hard to improve their products as long as they hear from their customers.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I don't think most shops use Vivvid. I have purchased a few things from them for home use but never trusted it for business use. I'd be curious to know how it turns out for you, if they honor their warranty.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Thanks! I've used their solid color wraps before and had no issues. It's just now that I'm discovering some problems with their "premium" line of metallics. They are thin, but so are most chrome vinyl wraps. However, I will be switching to Avery and 3M.
The good thing is that Vvivid offers a warranty on their products, and I should qualify for a full refund/replacement. The wrap industry is a megalith, it generated over 7 Billion in revenue in 2023 and still growing, and I'm sure these companies are trying hard to improve their products as long as they hear from their customers.
Traditionally, we use 3m, Avery and Oracal. We have since expanded to Tiny Bot. They are also a polymeric vinyl but they seem to be better made. They have A TON of colors and they even have a line of paint protection film. They are a good product at a lower price. check them out.

petepaz

i wrapped a couple vending machines for a customer who told me he had the material already. got it on amazon and it was this vivid vinyl.
i didn't care for it. luckily it all flat surfaces so wasn't too bad but it's definitely no 3M or Avery that's for sure.
i told him going forward if he wanted me to do the job i wasn't going to use that material

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
i wrapped a couple vending machines for a customer who told me he had the material already. got it on amazon and it was this vivid vinyl.
i didn't care for it. luckily it all flat surfaces so wasn't too bad but it's definitely no 3M or Avery that's for sure.
i told him going forward if he wanted me to do the job i wasn't going to use that material
we had a customer bring us a child's little power wheels to wrap with vivid. It was a failure. It is just not meant for those complex curves.