• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wrapping text on a cylinder

letterman7

Probably covered before, but can't find it through the search engine; is there a way to "wrap" text on a cylinder in X5? I could probably edit each letter individually, but that would take a bit of time. I also have Illustrator c3 that I don't use much if there is an option in that program.

letterman7

Not quite, John. Corel has the fit text to path, I'm looking for the text to wrap around a cylinder.. i.e. looking at a cylinder head on, with text upon the surface, the text would "disappear" around each bend, like a poster on a subway pillar.

Envelope tool won't distort correctly, De.signs..

Custom_Grafx

I don't know about in corel, but I've done that in Illustrator.

It's been a while, but from memory, you need to make a symbol instance out of your text or whatever you wanna wrap around your shape...

The catch is, that you need to make your cylinder or shape, using the 3d tool in Ai. I believe the feature you're after is called something like "map art" ... or sthing along those lines. You can map art to any surface of your 3d shape.

signage

Could you post an example of what you are looking for?

Text on any cylindrical things I look at doesn't appear get smaller as it is seen going around it.

letterman7

I never said the text got smaller, just that it appears to disappear. But yes, the 'convert to bitmap' option that Pat mentioned sort of does what I'm looking for, though it does tend to distort the image (and you lose the vector format). For the time being that will serve my needs (thanks, Pat!) until I can figure out a decent distortion-free path.