• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Wrapping" with 680CR?

I have some trucks to stripe, and chevron striping on the tailgates is part of the design. I will be having it printed on 3M 680CR, but the thing that has me worried is the 2014 F-150 that is in the list of trucks I will be working on. I don't do wraps, so a surface with that many contours is new to me. Is it best to just lay it on and bridge the gaps, then come back with heat and a rollepro? Or is there another way?

reQ

Did few fire dept. truck with reflective. used oracal brand. You can wrap, just keep in mind that you can't stretch reflective to much, because if you will, it will brake reflective layer and its no good.

letterman7

Yep, they're a pain in the tailgate. I don't put full sheets of printed chevrons down, I tend to use 6" strips of whatever the department is requiring, but I think the approach might be the same. I wouldn't bridge the gaps, but make your sheet large enough to start at the top or bottom and work the sheet up and down each valley. You might get lucky and just have the flat tailgate with the recess at the top and bottom - those aren't that deep and can be bridged, or do a cut and drop on them, with a piece layered inside. Why not see which they have first, then plan your attack?

Gary Wiant

I think you would be safe to bridge 680CR, it is created to do wrapping it's way different than Orical Reflective. If you stretch Orical Reflective it will turn dark, the 3M 680CR will not do this. Try a piece first if you want but that's how I'd do it.

Good Luck on your wraps

jfiscus

Rap Master
Yes, bridge and roll in, the thin 3M rollers (expensive) and geek wrap squeegees are good for these smaller recesses.
It may lift back up later in the horizontal groove, can't really guarantee it not to on that small of a recess, but it should stay down fine on the "super duty" lettering area.
Remember to post-heat!

oops, just re-read and you said F-150, not 250.
Some of the f150 tailgates probably aren't going to play nice, but maybe it has the simpler-style tailgate. it should still work alright though, just forewarn them.