• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

xR640 more issues

JoshLoring

would expect from a "flagship" machine, Roland would have all the bugs figured out on this model. It's unfortunate because for everyone who has had what seems to be a lemon of a machine, there are equally as many that have had success and no problems. I'm still a firm believer that Roland makes top notch products.
I agree. I think it's obvious that the XF and RF printers are far superior with a new takeup system and speed. I wish they had that system with added lm lc lk inks and is swap the XR right now.
this was already addressed, but are you running OEM ink or 3rd party? Cartridges or bulk system?
We only run OEM inks. Have shelves of them.

JoshLoring

Weds update. Week three.
Still no printer. Lost one client. Feeling awesome.
Go team. Yay!
Hopefully soon. Very soon.

reQ

Weds update. Week three.
Still no printer. Lost one client. Feeling awesome.
Go team. Yay!
Hopefully soon. Very soon.

Maybe you would consider outsourcing printing for now? I understand it will cost more compare to your own prices, but that way you can at least keep your customers?

JoshLoring

Thursday update. Week 3.
Crickets. Nothing.

Nobody working on the printer yet I was told they would be. Going on 10:30 am.

JoshLoring

Maybe you would consider outsourcing printing for now? I understand it will cost more compare to your own prices, but that way you can at least keep your customers?
A lot of these jobs are old and current clients that have fleets we have printed. If I outsource there is no way to color match existing vehicles.

rjssigns

Like CharlieJ said it's time for a new printer. I'd also get an attorney involved post haste.

What puzzles me is the Roland rep that's a member here has been conspicuous by his absence.

You have the patience of a saint and willingness to give multiple second chances. I am not so kind when it comes to my livelihood.

Maybe get HP involved...

ImpactSignCo

Just a heads up, I forwarded this thread to my Roland dealer here locally in Portland. He was at the shop this morning doing some work and I mentioned this conversation to him and showed him the photos posted at the beginning of your banding issues. Just thought I would let you know if he tries to contact you soon, maybe could shed some light on your situation.

JoshLoring

Friday update: Printer is STILL not usable. The tech was very knowledgable and pointed out multiple problems with printer which he replaced including a wrongly set up takeup bar (which was setup by Roland themselves), wrongly installed (and broken) pinch rollers and some other things. Cables/heads/dampers more and more.

Tech yesterday got it running (by running I mean spitting ink) but I'm still seeing ink dropout. Tech mentioned that it could be our profiling and I said no way. I've printed hundreds of wraps on our profiles with zero issues. In fact the test wrap we we're running was printed right before the printer went down with the exact profile.

Printer is getting erratic ink dropout at 720 and 1440. No word from Roland yet. I feel like maybe the encoder strip is bad but I'm not the tech. Still not production acceptable. Between multiple techs and servicing they've burned through an entire set of ink and 2 metallic carts. Guess who paid for that? Not them....

Roland.. Roland...

Oh. And thank everyone for the multiple emails and private messages containing their issues as well. Roland makes it seem as if I'm the only one and I KNOW that's not the case.

Attachments

• image-931770456.jpg
    image-931770456.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 144
  • image-1120837048.jpg
    image-1120837048.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 152

JoshLoring

Late Friday update:
Tech that came out tested a file of ours on our printer in a generic Roland profile with banding and dropout on Thursday.
Tech printed exact same file on their demo XR640 printer with the same generic profile and it printed perfectly clear which he suggests there is still something wrong with my printer.

Tech is relaying info to Roland.

Bly

Wow. Sorry to read about this.
I've been following this story for a while.
I know how badly something like this can affect a small business.
Hopefully Roland will get you back in production soon.

NickVonB

Nickvonb
Exact same issue

Hi there, We have the exact same banding / "striation" issue and eventually found out it was caused by media slippage under the outside pinchrollers (these are angled pinch rollers unlike all center pinchrollers).
Basically the firing path of the droplet is microscopically moved as the media is held back or slips forward causing both vertical and predominantly horizontal striations in the print which look like starvation but arent.
Ideally with the XR you must use as many if not all pinchrollers if they do not cause marks - if they do and you only run the outside ones make sure to not use the take up system and pre-feed quite a portion of media so the drag remains equal throughout the print. We have found this to be the only work-arround for now and have a pending query with Roland Japan on either a change over to softer pinch rollers or a way to increase the tension on the media. Also ensure the physical alignment and electronic alignment is perfect using PET film and loupe prior to the above. Also (I didnt read the whole thread - so sorry if this has been mentioned) there is a recall on the dampers (not related to your issue) whereby these are replaced by new ones which do not swell and cause the heads to overpressurize (when they touch eachother in swollen state) and leak.
The XR is indeed a disappointing machine...

JoshLoring

Hi there, We have the exact same banding / "striation" issue and eventually found out it was caused by media slippage under the outside pinchrollers (these are angled pinch rollers unlike all center pinchrollers). Basically the firing path of the droplet is microscopically moved as the media is held back or slips forward causing both vertical and predominantly horizontal striations in the print which look like starvation but arent. Ideally with the XR you must use as many if not all pinchrollers if they do not cause marks - if they do and you only run the outside ones make sure to not use the take up system and pre-feed quite a portion of media so the drag remains equal throughout the print. We have found this to be the only work-arround for now and have a pending query with Roland Japan on either a change over to softer pinch rollers or a way to increase the tension on the media. Also ensure the physical alignment and electronic alignment is perfect using PET film and loupe prior to the above. Also (I didnt read the whole thread - so sorry if this has been mentioned) there is a recall on the dampers (not related to your issue) whereby these are replaced by new ones which do not swell and cause the heads to overpressurize (when they touch eachother in swollen state) and leak. The XR is indeed a disappointing machine...

Another disappointed customer. Wow. I hope they find a solution soon.

suso73os

I have a similar problem, white bands and a horizontal green line ramdonly. Captops, dampers and one head replaced with no luck!

Attachments

• xr640.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 137

Suz

Josh,

I hope you get your printer functioning. I know how it is to go through this. Have had many problems with my printer, not a Roland.

Looked at a Roland VS-540i (54" Model) yesterday. I was given a Demo, noticed banding in the print. This is a new printer, showroom. So,
it made me wonder if that was a random thing, or if the person who gave the demo realized it was banding. A slight band, but nevertheless,
banding! So, I mentioned it, he said he noticed it too. But he seemed honest, told me it was just now doing that. Had to wonder when I left
his facility if I would have that problem too, if I purchased a new printer.

My thoughts are that I'm better keeping the HP L25500 that I have now, at least until I'm sure about a Roland VS machine. I have to say, there
were so many things I liked about the machine, and the inks were quite nice too, that I would not want to be enticed to get one without seeing
what success (or failure) stories people have about the Roland machines.

Thank you for your posts, I truly hope they take care of you and that you can get back to being profitable very soon!

Monday update:
Still no functional printer.

Posterboy

Damn, this thread is a little scary. I've had an XR-640 for 2.5 years now, and I have had that banding issue as well. I jacked up the DPI and it went away, but I understand why that is not a solution here. I thought is was the stock, because it ran just fine for about 18 months. I will be keeping my eye on the thread for sure.

BALLPARK

Currently running on Xc-540. The printer is a tank and what made me fall in love with Roland. I thought the VP series was good, but the XC series was very impressive. I wanted to sell/trade the XC for an XF or XR... WOW glad I did not do it.

I am not sure at this point if I would trust Roland with a new printer, even on the next series in the near future. I am going to go latex and and get away from Roland. I am so disappointed to see a company fall so hard in terms of having a viable machine to build around.

I feel so bad for all the owners of the new Roland machines. I would NEVER have guessed to see so many problems with the machines. I mean how can you make a machine like the XC series and then blow it up with what appears to be a new upgraded version, but is more of a major downgrade due to multiple issues.

If anyone wants to buy an XC-540 let me know. It has the blower / fan, new heads, new dampers, etc... Love the machine, but I don't want Latex and Eco Solvent. The issues from the new Roland series tells me that we will not be purchasing them in the future. I will take $10k for the printer and whatever ink stock we have goes with it.

So sad... I have been a HUGE supporter of Roland for many years dating back to the SP series. But it's time for me to move on to the HP Latex.

Good luck fellas with your issues and I hope Roland fixes them or gives your money back.

#GoodbyeRoland