• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your Market

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I think it is a little bit of both, but you need to be the one to initiate the process. The more you do to reach your intended market(s), word of mouth eventually will catch up, provided your customer had a good experience. But even at that, you must continue to be a proactive marketer by establishing new customer relationships.

Marketing is not like fishing where you dangle a line and wait. It's more like bear hunting with only a knife.

WildWestDesigns

I think it is a little bit of both, but you need to be the one to initiate the process. The more you do to reach your intended market(s), word of mouth eventually will catch up, provided your customer had a good experience. But even at that, you must continue to be a proactive marketer by establishing new customer relationships.

Marketing is not like fishing where you dangle a line and wait. It's more like bear hunting with only a knife.

Oh so very very very true.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer

If you don't have a rod, or knife, you ain't getting anything... You have to have something to sell... I have worked at a lot of sign shops, each with their own specialty. After my last job ended, I was going to be doing a certain type of work... mostly themed environments and large projects... it ended up my clients use me more for code compliancy and getting the building to open. I design themed environments, but not enough to jump for joy every morning when I wake up. Quite a few times the client will dictate which direction your business will go.

Right now I am contemplating going back to work for someone else. But I have also had offers for work on building signs that are mostly higher end concrete and stone monuments, this would entail getting a contractors license, hiring at least one project manager, and subbing work to people I already know. My other option is taking the bull by the horns and only designing what I want to do.... but I make decent money on designing boring code signs.

I may have to flip a coin...

Craig Sjoquist

Finding a market is more like jumping into the Florida Everglades with a knife = your knowledge, and seeing how many Gators you can take home,with the Government not wanting people to earn a living and others wanting the same gators.
If you part of the action you best learn all you can and be your best, the gators are out there , how many are you going to take home today.?

ontsigngirl

thanks

Wm. Wrigley Jr., the chewing gum giant, was a very strong marketer. I've included a link for a little inspiration.

Thanks for the link - I particularly like this statement

"Even in a little thing like a stick of gum, quality is important" illustrated the company's policy. William Wrigley, Jr., expanded these thoughts into brand building and advertising: "Tell 'em quick, and tell 'em often. You must have a good product in the first place, something people want. Explain to folks plainly and sincerely what you sell, do it in as few words as possible and keep everlastingly coming after them."

Last edited by a moderator:

Mosh

I dictate my market. The older I get the more focused it becomes. I now turn down
about half the stuff that walks in the door (or web-site). Since I am alone now I only
do the fun jobs and anything that looks like too much work I turn down.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wm. Wrigley Jr., the chewing gum giant, was a very strong marketer. I've included a link for a little inspiration.

Thanks for the link - I particularly like this statement

"Even in a little thing like a stick of gum, quality is important" illustrated the company's policy. William Wrigley, Jr., expanded these thoughts into brand building and advertising: "Tell 'em quick, and tell 'em often. You must have a good product in the first place, something people want. Explain to folks plainly and sincerely what you sell, do it in as few words as possible and keep everlastingly coming after them."

That's a very good quote, but ONE must understand 'reality' and not take things for granted. Be honest with yourself and make sure you have what the public wants.

While it's true if you tell them often and quickly it will work... it only works if you have that said product..... your target qualifies as being a good product...... and not one you feel in your own head is what they want. I don't chew gum, so any number of advertisements are wasted on me. Catch my drift ??

John L

In my opinion - marketing gum, or a host of other products would be much easier, even today, than marketing a sign shop amongst a vast ocean filled with other sign shops.

The problem with marketing sign shops is that there are sooo many. Reason being; The hurdle to enter the biz is very, very low in many areas. There is no professional occupation regulation in many areas. Materials are easily accessible and sold to most anyone that pulls out a credit card. Etc, etc, etc, etc.

The only real solution is to stand head and shoulders above the rest in SOME regard. And THAT is what makes your market all your own, brings them to you, or allows you to sell them with limited qualified competition pulling at the same nickel.