• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

‘Double sided’ banners

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
So we’re running an oce Colorado 1640, one of the initial reasons we went for it was canons mention of double sided eventually. As per my last conversation with canon, that’s no longer going to be happening and they’re doing that solely on the 1650.

However, we still continue to get customers asking for double sided banners. Currently we have a customer asking for 2’ by 7’ banners and they need to be double sided, they’re for hanging up pretty high (on lamp posts) and are going to be relatively short term.

So I’m thinking of printing the both sides on the one side of the roll, cutting them to size then just folding them in half so they’re effectively double sided. Hem and eyelets should hold it together.

just wondering if anyone else does this/how well it goes? As i said, they won’t be long term (approx 3 months max) so I’m guessing that should do the trick.

(I’d love to outsource these but not an option currently; higher ups have stopped all outsourcing so it’s either this option or saying no, happy to say no).

Any advice would be great!

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
still Limits us to about 800mm wide but I guess that’s still reasonable. Any ideas on how long they last? Not really got the time to make a test banner and see how long it lives lol

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
They last just as long or better than single sided. I did this when I made them. It also helps prevent bleeding when in direct sun.

TimToad

So we’re running an oce Colorado 1640, one of the initial reasons we went for it was canons mention of double sided eventually. As per my last conversation with canon, that’s no longer going to be happening and they’re doing that solely on the 1650.

However, we still continue to get customers asking for double sided banners. Currently we have a customer asking for 2’ by 7’ banners and they need to be double sided, they’re for hanging up pretty high (on lamp posts) and are going to be relatively short term.

So I’m thinking of printing the both sides on the one side of the roll, cutting them to size then just folding them in half so they’re effectively double sided. Hem and eyelets should hold it together.

just wondering if anyone else does this/how well it goes? As i said, they won’t be long term (approx 3 months max) so I’m guessing that should do the trick.

(I’d love to outsource these but not an option currently; higher ups have stopped all outsourcing so it’s either this option or saying no, happy to say no).

Any advice would be great!

We arrange the two "sides" on the layout top to top in opposite directions with our pole pocket accounted for and ample extra material at the bottoms to trim and assemble as a bottom pole pocket. This way the top is a continuous, seamless loop providing the most strength. We use a double row of the strongest banner tape to create the pole pocket and then on each side through the banner and tape, we place a grommet which effectively seals the edge and prevents the taped seam from opening. I've also used full body adhesive laminated to the back side of one half of the media (excluding the areas for the pole pockets) and sandwiched the two halves together for longer lasting durability.

Last edited:

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Great stuff! Now I just need to deal with the customer and get them a price. They wanted a price based on quantity and their quantity was “lots”..

TimToad

Great stuff! Now I just need to deal with the customer and get them a price. They wanted a price based on quantity and their quantity was “lots”..

That's the easy part. Get a number from them, calculate your material needs, yields, other costs, etc.. and price it.

Most street pole banners are 24" wide or less, if you run them the way I've described, you can print two banners side by side out of a 54" wide roll. Very little waste.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why can't you just print on both sides of one piece ?? Especially, if it's short term.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We do them side by side for pole banners - use HH66 instead of tape and add a line of stitching to each pole pocket to go along with the grommets. For banners that are wider than 25 we do them end to end like Tim.
Just make sure you print on a gray-backed or block-out material. Without it the sun will shine right through both layers.

TimToad

What about Dirt etc. Getting in between the two ply banner ? Wind getting in between the envelope ?

If We're not doing the full coverage adhesive method for longer lasting banners, we run a strip of banner tape vertically along the edges and one down the middle that helps flatten everything out.

Most street pole banner orders seem to be seasonal, so it's not like they are out there continuously for years on end. That being said, I've never had a properly installed banner fail.

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
It is possible to print one side cut it with a little extra material at the end, flip the banner and print the back. I do that all the time with my little 30" SP300. Just making sure that you start the banner from the same spot on both sides, I run the banner to the edge of the feed table for a start point on both sides. ( print is approx 7.5" from the ends ) I've done this with reusable banners and they last for years.

I print both sides of 18 oz blockout with a Mimaki JV3 (soon to be JV150). It's a little tricky until you figure out a procedure. Fold over top and bottom for a pocket, no hems on vertical edges. If it's a large quantity (for us that's typically 22) I order them from a supplier. UPS has gone up--see if they'll ship USPS in several boxes.

We used to print one side, then fold and sew hems (we have a Consew 225 that is a workhorse), but city did not like the weight of the banner, especially when placing 2 banners on 1 pole. Competitor uses hemming tape but in hot sun it tends to release and leave a gooey mess.

Greg Kelm

www.cheetaprint.com
I print mine end to end and use a special double-stick tape that I found to be better than anyone's so called 'hem/banner tape', to make the entire banner. I fold it in such a way that the top and bottom pockets are stout and have never had one fall apart. I have a pending order for 96 banners, should go smoothly.

burgmurk

i've manually done double sided banners on printers that "don't do double-siding".
It's a pain in the ass, but possible, unless your ink is gonna come off of side one when you're printing side 2.
it was just a matter of making a mark on the stock on both sides, and lining it up to the same place both times (and adding an inch+ of bleed)