Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Question .080 Aluminum

Discussion in 'Product and Supplier Referrals' started by SteveQuincey, Nov 10, 2018.

1. SteveQuincey

SteveQuincey New Member

Nov 6, 2018
    Meriden, CT
    I have landed a job that requires signage on .080 Aluminum, but my problem lies in finding brown colored blanks. I'm not really trusting of having the signs UV ink printed just to achieve a brown background because the rest of the job will be easily achieved with cut vinyl. Does anyone have a provider for pre-painted brown .080 sign blanks, I feel like back in my fathers day, they were more readily available for park signage and traffic signs. I was thinking of bare .080 and applying a full decal to each sign but I was hoping to save a step or two. This will be my first real post so I'm not sure if there is some underlying etiquette in how to form questions so please be nice.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Modern Ink Signs

Modern Ink Signs Premium Subscriber

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    We overlay with vinyl using our laminator and then letter as needed.

No need to go look for blanks of a given color.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Flood them. Easy, fast, cheap and long lasting.

4. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    We would either paint or sheet with vinyl

5. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

I don't think I've ever seen colored .080 aluminum. Only prepainted white. We would paint or sheet with the background color.

6. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    Depending what shade of brown you need, many places online to buy 0.80 aluminum

7. Southpaw1

Southpaw1 Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Arkansas
    Does it need to be aluminum? I did have a client who requested that color also. I have found that exact color (park brown) at metal roofing supply companies in flat sheets. Its sheet steel but its powder coated as well. The client was okay with the steel substrate because of the colormatch. If the roofing metal companyshears and bends for building trim you may be able to have them cut to size also. Ive taken sheets of aluminum for other projects to one locally who cuts/bends in house and they've bent it (for a small fee) for cladding, replacement sign trim and even channel.
    Steel doesn't come in true 4x8 so depending on your size that may be an issue.
    You may also check for ACM in that color. I've replaced lots of .080 With that with fantastic results. Most times you can get it cheaper and the customer likes it better anyways (it sure is easier to install!)
    Otherwise I'd do what the others have said and overlay aluminum with vinyl and then letter as needed.