• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1/4" mdf board

Cynosure

Have a customer looking for about 1000 pieces of various sized 1/4" thick mdf board. Some grey, some white, some black. One of the pieces, for example, is 25" x 25" with a handle routed out of it. All the other pieces are just straight cuts, no routing. Does anyone know of a source set up to complete anything like this? As always, any help is appreciated.
5c28a13c2d21c2ebb501ce215c665a91.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

visual800

if you offered a little more info about what the products were for we may could assist better please. It might be possible this could be done in 1/4" pvc which "may" come in the colors this person wants. This is where you need to find a local router guy and order materials and have him route them all out

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That handle is nothing more than a drill bit, then insert a jig saw and cut that suckered out. As for the rest....... 1,000 pieces on a table saw or panel saw is nothing. Compared to what it will cost to have done, you could do it for less and pocket all the money.

Sometimes you need to look at a project of what it entails, not how to have someone else do your work.

visual800

That handle is nothing more than a drill bit, then insert a jig saw and cut that suckered out. As for the rest....... 1,000 pieces on a table saw or panel saw is nothing. Compared to what it will cost to have done, you could do it for less and pocket all the money.

Sometimes you need to look at a project of what it entails, not how to have someone else do your work.

Gino you are correct in keeping more for your self BUT we are "talking" 1000 pcs with I assume radiused corners. I personally would rather feed a router all day then to run this on a table saw and then sand edges, that in itself would physically kill me.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
how well do you know the customer? did he or she contacted you in text or email? were you able to talk to them over the phone? I had a 1000 banner request before and of course it was scam

Gino

Premium Subscriber
He said all straight cuts, so I figured it to be that..... no radius corners. If I had a router, I would proably do it too, but he can't even figure out the handle. 1,000 pieces can't take but a few hours, if you figure out and put all the same sizes together to speed things up. Not just random cuts.

RavenSigns

I’m guessing you’ve got the pre-payment sorted out.

If they are straight cut pieces without radiused corners, it would be a waste of money and time to have them routed. A local cabinet maker can cut them for you. Gino pretty much said it all, including the handle.

If you are going to draw a cutting layout before shopping for panels, make sure to remember that at least 1/8” of material is lost due to the drill bit / saw blade thickness. Ask about the thickness before drawing a layout, or let the caninet maker sort it out. I’d buy a few extra panels for a peace of mind.

Sign consultant

Talk to the client for deposit.
Discuss details over phone n try to read his mind. ...
Get product details. ...pvc
Do get some better quote n add up your profit. ...
Best if luck. ..

fixtureman

As for the handle I would make a jig and use a plunge hand held router and if the other pieces need rounded corners same thing and I even have a 4 X 8 cnc table sawand hand router would be faster. Right machines for that type of job

Cynosure

Not a scam. Customer is a friend of one of my good customers. I thought the pvc route originally, which is also why I think my friend thought I could help. However, I don't know of any source that sells 6mil grey pvc, which is a bulk of what is needed.

Cynosure

..and yes, all pieces, except the particular black one are all straight cuts. I just have never used this product before, are there any wholesale vendors around for it?

Cynosure

if you offered a little more info about what the products were for we may could assist better please. It might be possible this could be done in 1/4" pvc which "may" come in the colors this person wants. This is where you need to find a local router guy and order materials and have him route them all out
Sample boards. They will mount products to each piece to display.

Johnny Best

Not a scam. Customer is a friend of one of my good customers. I thought the pvc route originally, which is also why I think my friend thought I could help. However, I don't know of any source that sells 6mil grey pvc, which is a bulk of what is needed.

Piedmont Plastics or E&T Plastics both carry light gray and gray 6mm pvc.
They both can cut the sizes you need cut.

visual800

Cynosure

I need to learn to answer posts like Im talking to customers.

How many is he going to get done at once? THAT is what matters. He may say he needs 1000 but will only get 20 for right now. Now that I have thought about this post, I would simply try to find these

Inexpensive Sample Boards, Tile Displays and Flooring Displays for your Showroom from ThomasRECOM

already made, aint gotta mess with it. They are the professionals. No routing, cutting
Its 300 of this size, 250 of that size type thing. It totalled about 1000 pieces.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That makes it all that much easier. When working with wood and most other substrates which need a saw blade, generally the kerf is not figured into the end size. Only when a guillotine or razor knife are being used.

The fractions less of the substrate are not going to matter, unless something fit snuggly into a frame of some sorts, therefore that question should always come up, almost first.

You set a fence up for one size and cut 250 pieces and then cross cut them, you'll have 1,000 pieces cut in no time.

Any YES, there is 6mm grey PVC available from various manufactures.