• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1-500 sequential numbering - how to?

Colin

I need to print/lam/cut 500 2" x 6" decals with numbers from 10001 to 10500. I'll be printing these on 36" wide media, and will likely do them in easy to handle batches of 75 or so.

In CorelDraw (X7), how does one do the sequential numbering from 10001 to 10500 without manually keying in each one? I've looked at the "Print Merge" videos, but they don't seem to be what I'm after.

Thanks.

Attachments

• sequential.jpg
    sequential.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 576

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Colin
print merge should do what you need.
What part is not working for you?
You should have an Excel file with your 10001 to 10500 numbers, a txt file will work (its just easier to generate an auto fill sequence in Excel)
You lay out your decal with the number data field and let the print merge option populate the place holders.
Should work the same in X7 as it does in the earlier versions.

wayne k
guam usa

C

ColoPrinthead

I would use data merge in InDesign if it were me. There are plenty of tutorials you can find on it.

CanuckSigns

Colin
print merge should do what you need.
What part is not working for you?
You should have an Excel file with your 10001 to 10500 numbers, a txt file will work (its just easier to generate an auto fill sequence in Excel)
You lay out your decal with the number data field and let the print merge option populate the place holders.
Should work the same in X7 as it does in the earlier versions.

wayne k
guam usa

for or sequential numbering, you don't even need a file, Corel will do it by itself.

Colin, email me a layout of one of the tags and I'll email you back a file complete
scott at watsonsengraving dot com

Colin

I know this isn't exactly an answer to your question.... but you don't have Omega/Composer by any chance do you?

Nope.

Thanks for the replies, but in the time I was waiting, I figured out a reasonably quick way to manually enter the numbers; only took a few minutes. I gotta get this job done quick, so maybe some other time I'll learn how to do the Print-Merge thing.

Cheers.

Colin

for or sequential numbering, you don't even need a file, Corel will do it by itself.

Colin, email me a layout of one of the tags and I'll email you back a file complete
scott at watsonsengraving dot com

Thanks, that's very kind. As I've indicated, I got it set up already, but I'm still interested in what your step-by-step process would be.

CanuckSigns

Thanks, that's very kind. As I've indicated, I got it set up already, but I'm still interested in what your step-by-step process would be.

Oko, to, here it goes

1 set your page to slightly larger than the decal, In your case 2.1" x6.1"
2 layout one decal exactly how you want it
3 use the print merge function as explained here http://youtu.be/cvBD-4Bmeo0

4 make sure you choose " merge to new document" this will create a 500 page file with one decal per page

5 publish this to pdf
6 bring into versaworks, it will automatically fit the decals to your media size

hope this helps, sorry for any typos I'm on my iPad.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Oko, to, here it goes

4 make sure you choose " merge to new document" this will create a 500 page file with one decal per page

5 publish this to pdf
6 bring into versaworks, it will automatically fit the decals to your media size

Nice, I like this.

wayne k
guam usa

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Also - if you use Flexisign.....

Take your whatever. Make sure the first one that you need to step the number is actual text and choose auto serialize. It will ask you multiple questions about how you want to set it up. Works great.

Colin

5 publish this to pdf

Thanks! I'll try this method when I get some time.

shoresigns

Versaworks has auto numbering built in as well. I've only used it once but it was surprisingly easy to figure out and it can read from a spreadsheet, so it doesn't have to be sequential.

Stormyj

Just another guy
[video=youtube;AM_faFl1fc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM_faFl1fc8[/video]

Much better video using print merge. I dont know why you would use any spreadsheets or anything. The wizard will do everything for you and this guy in the video is a genius. Watch all his vids.

Last edited by a moderator:

cyclerc

help with print merge!

I do all the process and get 18 pages but after publish to pdf only one page is present in pdf file.I do a lot of time in other project of 2000 of bicycle race plates and now I can't! What I lose?
thanks for help

Malkin

Versaworks has auto numbering built in as well. I've only used it once but it was surprisingly easy to figure out and it can read from a spreadsheet, so it doesn't have to be sequential.

EDIT: Sorry just noticed this was a necropost. Oops! I'll leave my reply anyway for future needs.

Same here. I do all variable data (like sequential numbering) with Versaworks' built in feature.
For sequential numbers I make a spreadsheet that generates them and then export to CSV in the size batches that I want to run, up to 250 at a time. (VW's limit)
Your layout file needs a rectangular box where the text will land that has the proper stroke spot color name of "VDP_Number" no quotes. Similar to how you assign a cut line.
Then import the layout file to VW and open up the job settings. Do not make repeats unless you want multiples of the same value, 1,1,2,2,3,3, etc.
Then go to the "variable data" tab, click to enable variable data & import the CSV file you made earlier. You can select the whole column or individually to set the text style and color if you like.

J Hill Designs

I do all the process and get 18 pages but after publish to pdf only one page is present in pdf file.I do a lot of time in other project of 2000 of bicycle race plates and now I can't! What I lose?
thanks for help

change your pdf options to output entire document

cyclerc

Yes is home & student! Buy how I do a lot of publish pdf with multiples pages, any default setting? I need to print more bicycles plates with diferent #!!! Thanks for help