• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1 Shot dye time with rain in mind

studio 440

Can someone tell me the safe dry time before rain, it is on a horizontal surface(concrete)
Thanks in advance
enamel skins up and cures from the outside in as the solvent evaporates but at least twelve hours . any water getting on it when its fresh could cause spotting

Johnny Best

Also a lot depends on how dry the wall will be that your putting your One Shot onto. If it is sunny or hot, or cold and damp.
But studio 440 is giving good advice.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
1Shot of today will take a few hours to dry to the touch as mentioned. Where you're located, I'd give it a good day of no rain before just taking your chances. Remember also, at night when the temperatures dip down, the dry and cure times practically don't exist, so you don't want any morning dew making little spots, either.

The last thing to consider is..... how much you're gonna cut it and/or add additives.

signbrad

I think the above answers are good. Having said that, I have lettered walls, and even trucks, minutes before a rain and got away with it. No marring or spots and the paint shined beautifully. Of course, that was a vertical surface, not horizontal, and the rain was not intense. On other occasions, when the rain was particularly heavy, the lettering was hit so hard it seemed the oil was beaten out of it, running down the side in little streams.

One Shot 4007 Hardener may speed up the dry time in your case.

One more point. On masonry surfaces, I have abandoned the use of One Shot colors. I get better durability and resistance to fading (of colors) using Nova Color acrylic mural paint. I'm not sure if the fact that your surface is horizontal will make a difference on whether you use water base or oil base. Is this surface a sidewalk that will get foot traffic? The harder dry film of an oil paint might be advantageous for a surface that will be subject to abrasion. But barring that, I will always defer to Nova Color as a better paint on any surface that is masonry. The alkali that is in masonry is the natural enemy of oil paint.
In addition, any moisture already in masonry does not need to completely dry out before using an acrylic latex. Its porous nature can allow moisture to escape through it. By contrast, the same moisture can damage an oil paint film because the paint tries to seal the surface, and when the moisture is ready to exit, it can force its way out, blistering the paint.

Brad