• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

10 Trucks (30 decals)

Patentagosse

I do that kind of job on weekly basis. I would print / lam / cut everything. One decal to install ---» faster

As for print/cut registration, 100% accuracy is almost impossible as the vinyl moves back & forth on various distances BUT the easiest way to avoid issues is to simply create an outline (0.08 to 0.12 is usually all you need) around the letters to cut, assign the letter's color to it and then convert the original letter into cutpath. That way, no matter how out-of-regist you are, you're safe. It only takes like 30sec. to save you from trouble. I do 1/8" stroke (outline) around +14ft big rig graphic kits and it plots like a breeze. On long shots, slight misalignment is normal... just make sure the blade has some play to cut around.

'Hope it makes sense (maybe it's just the way I explain it):tongue:

skyhigh

I do that kind of job on weekly basis. I would print / lam / cut everything. One decal to install ---» faster

As for print/cut registration, 100% accuracy is almost impossible as the vinyl moves back & forth on various distances BUT the easiest way to avoid issues is to simply create an outline (0.08 to 0.12 is usually all you need) around the letters to cut, assign the letter's color to it and then convert the original letter into cutpath. That way, no matter how out-of-regist you are, you're safe. It only takes like 30sec. to save you from trouble. I do 1/8" stroke (outline) around +14ft big rig graphic kits and it plots like a breeze. On long shots, slight misalignment is normal... just make sure the blade has some play to cut around.

'Hope it makes sense (maybe it's just the way I explain it):tongue:

I understand the .08 to .12 outline around the letters, but in this particular case, wouldn't this be easier?

Attachments

• CONTOUR CUT.jpg
    CONTOUR CUT.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 106

Mosh

This mole-hill has became a mountain in a hurry. This is about the most simple job a shop can do. My quote $95 a truck installed at my shop, $125 a truck if I have to go to them.
Do these all day everyday.

I was talking about TWO issues, first as mentioned, very hard to contour cut with 100% accuracy, I enlarged the OP image to 24" wide and at that size the verticle stroke on the letter "N" is LESS then 1/10th of an inch wide, hard to cut that dead on.

And the second part is, printed vinyl, laminated and contour cut that thin is likely to have the edge of the laminate start to PEEL, or curl up because there is not a large surface of adhesive, IMO.

Again, just my thoughts, you all can do whatever you want, it just doesn't float my boat doing this on an image that THIN ...

:smile:

I agree here completely. I would do the lettering with cut vinyl and just print and contour cut the gradient flame. It would give me piece of mind and the customer would have an excellent end product.

skyhigh

Why wasting all that precious fluid (ink...)?
It was just a thought. You're right.

GINO:
I would not digital print everything and then go back and treat it like die cuts. That's defeating the whole purpose.

I would disagree. The whole purpose is to have ONE apply on each door vs 3 (whole job.....30 applies VS 90). One roll of print vinyl vs the "cut vinyl" route... 2 rolls of cut material & one roll of print.

Your suggestion for one rectangular decal is definitely the cheapest way to go.....if it didn't look like a magnet (super tacky).... Although, on the same line as that, I may go with something like my example in post 20 (tighten up the outline a bit)

By MOSH: This mole-hill has became a mountain in a hurry. This is about the most simple job a shop can do.

I don't know what I was thinking. No more F'n around.....Next time I have a question, I'm going straight to my PM box to drop you a message.

DizzyMarkus

With the font used:

Cut lettering (I can cut much finer details in cut vinyl)
Printed/lam fire

not a difficult registration :smile:

Markus

skyhigh

Ok, after all this effort did get the JOB?

Were you the lowest bidder?

:help

He called to tell me our bid was dead center.....2 higher and 2 lower, and to inquire if we would match the lowest bidder. My answer was...provide me with their bid, so I could make sure we were comparing apples to apples & I would not only match, I would go even lower. (I was in a sarcastic "mood" again when he called....no bashing). I then turned the conversation around, and explained about quality of materials & a rich vibrant print over the kind of job some others do (sorry guys/gals....:ROFLMAO:....not)

He called back a second time to ask if we would come to their place to do the apply, or if they had to bring the trucks here. I said we would go there, as long as they had all ten for us to apply at once. He then said we got the job, at our original bid price.

FYI. The wife actually does all vehicle applies & also priced this out. Her bid was $185 each truck. My involvement was being the lucky one to answer the phone, and to post on signs101.

She is a really nice person......me, not so much. :Big Laugh

skyhigh

I see that I wouldn't be the lowest bidder. lol

:covereyes:

uuggggg. I don't recall asking advice on pricing, but seeing that a few of you felt the need to share....so did I. Only because I was shocked at what I saw. LOL.....then Salmoneye made it worse by stating he would be less than Mosh (the green bean picker -slash- sign maker) :rolleyes:

time to move this thread to the pricing forum.

Last edited:

Salmoneye

Noooo SkyHigh, Salmon Eye came on saying that he (I) would NOT be the lowest bidder. I was shocked at pricing displayed as well. I am glad to see that you priced it at a more reasonable level, did not succumb to your customers unreasonable pricing game and still got the job. This should serve as an example, good for you.

Salmoneye

While I have no need to be the most expensive, I have no desire to be the lowest bid in town. (Or produce work like that)

skyhigh

she bid based on cut vinyl and just the flame printed.

Whatever process it wont matter to him. They put tons of miles on these. He said they average 2 to 2.5 years at most.

Edit:..... Bill, not sure what you're asking, but.... If these were all print & contour cut, vs. die cut vinyl, I don't believe the customer will care or understand if we gave him an explanation of each process. He gave us the specs that these only have to last upwards of 2.5 years. Whatever process is our choice from there on out. Either way will be individual cut letters, being blue and gray.

Come Monday, We will explain the benefits of going with a solid decal.....and how we won't even charge him extra for it. :ROFLMAO: (see attachment)

Attachments

• Low Ball [Converted].jpg
    Low Ball [Converted].jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited: