• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

10' x 200' Sign!?!?!

TheSellOut

Yeah thats right, 10 foot high x apprx. 200 foot wide. How in Sam Hell do you go about quoting something like this out, let alone, appling vinyl, delivering, and installing it!

I always love a challenge!

The proposed sign is meant to run along the back side, base framing, of a football stadium's bleachers and will be constructed of aluminum panels and tubing!

tanneji

40 5 x 10 sheets and a hell of a lotta time ... no biggie ... haha totally kidding that is a pain ! We just did one that was 6 x 50 and it sucked big time. We laid out 3 panels on the table and applied graphics. Then took off the first two moving the third into position at number 1 then put 2 new ones behind it. All told it took 2 people around 4 hours.

Letterbox Mike

The whole thing is easy. cptcorn's right, it's no different than anything else. Figure out how much the tube frame will cost to build or have built. Figure the rest of your materials. Figure your labor. And figure your markup. Voila, there's you price.

Construction is easy too, you just have to break it into smaller assemblies. Weld up the aluminum tube frame in sections. Attach to the bleachers one at a time, bolting them together as you go. Then attach your faces to the aluminum frame. You could pre-letter the faces in your shop, but if it's simple vinyl graphics it might be easier, at least logistically, to apply them once the faces are installed on the frames.

OldPaint

call old paint
not a problem to quote a price, 10 X 200' X $10 sq ft =$20,000.00(for painting)..........PLUS MATERIAL!!!!!!!!!
now whos gona do the install?(SUB OUT to CONSTRUCTION COMPANY,because of permits & code)get me ,si, rex, arlo, and after its built, bout 3-4 day...and we would have it PAINTED & FINISHED!!!!

UFB Fabrication

The Quote part to me seams easy. I would be more concerned with wind load and attachments. Has a Eng. blessed this yet ?

It would be kind of a bummer to ad enough wind load to blow the bleachers over or tear off and kill somebody.

round man

Usually with jobs this big its easier to paint them,...by the time you price the vinyl paint is much more cheaper and the profit margin is ten times that of vinyl,..usually I would do the install then paint it on location unless that is not an option at which point I would do it in 20' sections in the shop. I can't see how vinyl would be an option on something this large much less competitive in price,...only other option is a stretch face like they currently use on billboards,..just do the file on the computer and farm out the printing to a wholesaler,build the frame and install it,..no panels....I usually get about $5 a sq ft at the dragstrip for something that size,....but then they give me alot of work each year so that is closer to a wholesale price than a retail price,....install and materials are extra

roundman there is other ways than paint or vinyl that would blow both of those out of the water....ask Gino how he would do it? i'll give a screaming hint put the substrate on the flatbed and print. if it is a rigid substrate there is no other way i would do this project.

round man

Dan the simplest way would be to use a stretch face,...build an pipe frame to stretch the face on and use ratchet straps to install it,...the total cost would be less than a half of just the panels and the install is about half the time,...that is why the outdoor companies use the method,..as for wind loads if the frame is engineered properly the banner material will stand up to just about anything mother nature can offer up,..besides it makes it easier for the ballpark to change sponser ads next season,....

Last edited:

Marlene

i'll give a screaming hint put the substrate on the flatbed and print. if it is a rigid substrate there is no other way i would do this project.

yep, that's how I would do it. then charge for a qty of 40, 5' x 10' signs plus the bending and assemble of the panels on alum tubes.

Mosh

Back in 1994 we did a 8'x120' Sign. It was aluminum sheets riveted to 1" tubing. We painted it. We borke the design down into 8'x8' sections, blew it up on the overhead and painted it. We installed the tubing on the building and the sheets to that. Only time we saw the whole sign was after it was up. Came out great. "FIREWORKS WORLD" Red letters with a yellow outline, simple design. At the time we where getting $200 per 4x8 panels used, plus install was cost plus.

Prisco

Big Banners

I can put you in touch with a DC based printer who can do what you need in one piece or panels that are sewn or welded together. His printer is 15' wide and the roll media can be the length of a roll. I would consider wind flaps too!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
roundman there is other ways than paint or vinyl that would blow both of those out of the water....ask Gino how he would do it? i'll give a screaming hint put the substrate on the flatbed and print. if it is a rigid substrate there is no other way i would do this project.

You bet !! :thumb:

I could do some serious damage to my competitors right now if I was bidding on that. Now that we have this machine.... there is no other way.

Round.... til you build your ratchet set up frame, hand paint the faces and then mount it.... I'd already be onto the next job a week ahead of you with more profit in my pocket than you could imagine. That's not bragging, but just a fact.

Your method works for the billboard guys because they have a lot of upfront costs in building those poles and frames, but afterward.... its a piece of cake, but not on a single installation.

I can put you in touch with a DC based printer who can do what you need in one piece or panels that are sewn or welded together. His printer is 15' wide and the roll media can be the length of a roll. I would consider wind flaps too!

Wow there are shops that can do that. Please fill us in.

Service Sign Co

Wow that's big. I would think one would have to consider re-enforced steel I- beams for the structure it is mounted to. I doubt it should be mounted to bleachers

Last edited: