• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

10 year guarantee clear laminate?

Jean Shimp

There is an online sign retailer that makes custom metal signs with a 10 year guarantee. They use a 3M anti-graffiti clear laminate. Looking for more information on exactly what product this laminate is and where to get it? I want to make some street signs for a small residential community and have them last longer than the typical digitally printed sign. Thanks.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
I'd read the fine print on anything that says it lasts 10 years....the film might, but I'd be amazed if the ink did. I used to sell an ultra-UV blocking laminate which would last in fast-food backlit boxes for around 10 years...it had so much UV inhibitor it was yellow, so you had to change the print file to plan on what the yellow laminate was going to do with your colors. I'd love to know if there is a film which would really provide UV protection for that long.

garyroy

And you want to be out of the business before they reorder?
Road signs change all the time, they wear out, fade, get stolen.
That's what keeps us in business. I'd bid on the sign, give them a good product and move on to the next one.
I spent $3000 on a refrigerator, it had a year year parts and labor guarantee.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Also, even though the laminates are specc'd for that long, how long are your ink pigments going to last?

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
Honestly, I wouldn't want to use a laminate that lasted 10 years. Half my sign business is replacing signs that have faded and/or deteriorated. We get maybe 5 years max out of an aluminum sign down here, half that if its facing the sun. Customers never complain and rarely even inquire about longevity so its obviously not a problem I need to fix. All my invoices and estimates have this disclaimer: "The longevity of digitally printed vinyl products is entirely dependent on the amount of direct sunlight exposure received. For this reason, we cannot warranty vinyl or digitally printed vinyl products such as aluminum or PVC signs, magnetic signs or outdoor vinyl banners against fading under any circumstances."