• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

100% Roland dx4 printhead NOT!.No rank number...

scotty44

Ok so I need to replace a head on my vp300.... found a site that stated 100% original heads so bought it...its just arrived and it has no rank number!! Removed for shipping they say :noway:
Is there away around this? Can the old rank be re entered?

ProPDF

Your going to get a few responses probably on this. The answer is plug it in and go with the current rank it will print just fine IF you install it properly. Power down completely. Then hit power button again to discharge any remaining juice. Make sure to not get ink on the heads, boards or connectors.

DirtyD

When i was restoring a Mimaki JV3 (DX4) I put all new heads in and never put in the rank number - didn't know what it was or how or that I needed to..lol It printed great

(I) would use it with the current numbers

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
As someone who has installed over 100 dx4 print heads I can say without a doubt that the head rank has little to no impact on the head life or quality. I have entered the head rank and not entered it and the same results occur every time. I never input it anymore. To be fair, there are techs I have spoken to who swear it adjusts voltages and firing volumes and is absolutely necessary but I have never heard a manufacturer state exactly what it does. They always give a vague answer or one that sounds like they have been coached to say. That tells me that it is more of a serial number for tracking than anything else.

scotty44

Thanks for the replays guy :thumb:
New heads fitted and working fine :cool:
But moved on to another problem, it was the yellow head I replaced but now the magenta that was working fine has gone TU :omg:
But only on DT3 low ??
Any ideas on this one? maybe knocked a line and sucking air?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2015-11-06 19.34.38_zpsgb0suh1i.jpg
    2015-11-06 19.34.38_zpsgb0suh1i.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 624
  • 2015-11-06 19.38.54_zpsit8bv8u6.jpg
    2015-11-06 19.38.54_zpsit8bv8u6.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 597
  • 2015-11-06 19.35.08_zpshuvl3gl5.jpg
    2015-11-06 19.35.08_zpshuvl3gl5.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 620
Last edited by a moderator:

scotty44

Cap tops replaced again, new dampers fitted but still getting this problem on DT3....
Can anyone tell me what the DT3 is? DT1 looks fine but DT3 is AWOL! :omg:
Getting a ghosting of magenta around everything....

Attachments

• 2015-11-10 17.38.07.jpg
    2015-11-10 17.38.07.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 211
  • 2015-11-10 17.37.25.jpg
    2015-11-10 17.37.25.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 193

InstantImpression

Cap tops replaced again, new dampers fitted but still getting this problem on DT3....
Can anyone tell me what the DT3 is? DT1 looks fine but DT3 is AWOL! :omg:
Getting a ghosting of magenta around everything....

Hey Scotty! :) so this can happen when you are reseating new print cables. There are 2 that go to the headboard. I would take them out. Make sure there is no Kinks or dirt or any sort of contaminate on the connection of the ribbon. Then I would reseat them good and flush make sure again not to kink them when putting it back in. I would try that. I know those things are big cry babies.

Let me know hope it works.

scotty44

Hey Scotty! :) so this can happen when you are reseating new print cables. There are 2 that go to the headboard. I would take them out. Make sure there is no Kinks or dirt or any sort of contaminate on the connection of the ribbon. Then I would reseat them good and flush make sure again not to kink them when putting it back in. I would try that. I know those things are big cry babies.

Let me know hope it works.

:frustrated:No luck mate, took the strip out and gave it a good clean, checked/removed all cables and still the same :banghead:

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Ok so I need to replace a head on my vp300.... found a site that stated 100% original heads so bought it...its just arrived and it has no rank number!! Removed for shipping they say :noway:
Is there away around this? Can the old rank be re entered?

Which website did you buy the printhead from? I would call them back and ask for a refund. Use credit card chargeback to protect your investment. False advertisement should be punished and alerted to the public.

We have not only the printhead with head rank number; also many other parts. All parts are shipping out of California.

www.premiercolour.com

WalkerP

Does your regular nozzle check look OK? What if you send a print? Does the yellow print? If so, is it out of alignment?
If I remember correctly the alignment patterns are for different resolutions/parameter. Not sure why one setting would print and another wouldn't if all nozzles are firing.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Not sure why one setting would print and another wouldn't if all nozzles are firing.

That's a good question. The reason one pattern would fire correctly and one not is that these heads fire more than one sized dot. This is what variable dot pattern means when you see it on the printer specs. The easiest dot pattern for the print head to fire is the largest. That is the on that is used on the nozzle check. The hardest dot pattern for a print head to fire is the smallest. When the a head gets damaged electronically or fails from old age, usually the first pattern to be affected is the small dot pattern. This is why one will look fine but the other is messed up.

scotty44

Just to update this,,,, after taken the magenta head out and seeing it covered in ink I knew it was a gonna!
New head fitted and a test print looks like it should.... all sorted now and printing fine :thumb:

Attachments

• 2015-11-16 18.00.24.jpg
    2015-11-16 18.00.24.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 249