• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question 1000 Stickers... Real world flatbed cut speeds???

Artaus

Hi all...

I'm looking at adding a flatbed cutter to my kit (Circa $100k AUD / $70k USD). Have researched Zund, Esko, Gerber MCT, Summa and various other machines on the market. Trying to weigh up our possibilities of our existing sticker production, being perf cut on our Roland GR-640 (Hit and miss), and minimise our hands on trimming in post production of posters, wall graphics etc etc

QUESTION:
What is an average cutting time on your flatbed cutter for say 1000 stickers, or similar?
• Roughly palm sized, circa 3"x3" / 75mmx75mm
• Full 'die cut / perf cut / cut through'
• Not standard square/circle cuts, but a fairly basic cut path, something like old mate Patrick, Sponge Bob's mate (see attached as a reference).

From watching every possible Youtube vid I could (Along with the recent Printex Expo in Sydney, Australia) I'm gauging an average of around;
• 5 seconds per cut
• 700+ per hour

I'd like to get a fair gauge from actual users of a realistic quantity you could cut an hour with your machine set up. maybe 500 p/hr, 1000 p/hr?

I'd like to add that this isn't the only job I am looking at running on the cutter as we do a lot of varied work with a lot of varied clients, event stand builds and pop-up activations etc.

Our present production would be;
• 50% printed/laminated vinyl (Stickers/Wall Graphics)
• 30% posters (Paper stock, 200-300gsm)
• 20% rigid substrates

Any advice, or rough numbers you may have in your head are appreciated.

Cheers!

Attachments

• patrick-spongebob-squarepants.jpg
    patrick-spongebob-squarepants.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 375

jasonx

Zund will be 4 minutes 30 seconds per 100 75mm square stickers with no handling time.

Where did you get 100k pricing for a zund? Which model?

Zunds are expensive to use as solely sticker production machines. We have an array of finishing equipment to do stickers. Guillotine, multiple fotobas, zund etc. Zund would be the last option depending if the material can't scan or cut in the other machines.

Artaus

Zund will be 4 minutes 30 seconds per 100 75mm square stickers with no handling time.

Where did you get 100k pricing for a zund? Which model?

Zunds are expensive to use as solely sticker production machines. We have an array of finishing equipment to do stickers. Guillotine, multiple fotobas, zund etc. Zund would be the last option depending if the material can't scan or cut in the other machines.

Thanks for the reply Jason.

~$100k is more so my budget (new or secondhand) for a machine.

As mentioned it will be used for various other needs. But getting a good idea of how I can minimise my current production necessities.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Go talk to Alfred from Pozitive in Sydney and tell him Simon from Sign Me Up sent you.
They had the Summa F-Series at the show right on the $100k mark and is a very good machine for complete hands-off finishing of labels you describe.
It can do a heap other things (with options) as well, so you can grow into it... things like creasing tools, oscillating tools and more.

Artaus

Go talk to Alfred from Pozitive in Sydney and tell him Simon from Sign Me Up sent you.
They had the Summa F-Series at the show right on the $100k mark and is a very good machine for complete hands-off finishing of labels you describe.
It can do a heap other things (with options) as well, so you can grow into it... things like creasing tools, oscillating tools and more.

Cheers Simon, I've already been in touch with Pozitive, but I'll mention your shout out when I touch base again . The Summa F1612 is one I'm paying attention to. The 'GoProduce' software looks pretty good on the Summa's. We had a brief run up to Printex and checked out most of the tables. The continuous roll feed + the optional 'GoProduce Barcode' software seems like a great addition.