• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

$1000 van wrap

spectrum maine

Ok guys. here goes- i have a friend who has a full size van that he says he got wrapped for 1000$ . i looked at the van and its a few years old and still looks good. i honestly could not touch this job for under 2500$ with top knotch vinyl and laminate. Please take me ouit of the dark ages and enlighten me on how a professional can do a full wrap for 1 grand.

CanuckSigns

My guess is it's someone new to the industry. Back when I first started printing I was definitely guilty of not knowing how much to charge for some things. The first wrap I did was a 27' enclosed trailer, I removed the old graphics, designed the new one, printed and installed the new one for $2500, in reality it should have been 3 times that at least.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
What is old is new again
earlschieb_1d7c617df01d5d36da98eb6473fb9d70eb399dd2.jpg

Ok guys. here goes- i have a friend who has a full size van that he says he got wrapped for 1000$ . i looked at the van and its a few years old and still looks good. i honestly could not touch this job for under 2500$ with top knotch vinyl and laminate. Please take me ouit of the dark ages and enlighten me on how a professional can do a full wrap for 1 grand.
The vinyl alone costs more than that. Especially if it’s printed.

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer

More than likely it wasn't done with an Avery, 3M, or Oracal product. If it was done, it was with something like BusMark or Grimco's Briteline vinyls. This was pre-pandemic, so vinyl was cheaper, so producing it would be cheaper....but at a $1,000? No. Like stated above, whether by someone who was too green to the business, a company looking to screw a competitor, a customer with a bad memory and not recalling what was on the invoice, or he's simply bullsh*tting you.
Either way, it's post-pandemic, with post-pandemic prices and if you have the experience to do a decent job, a van is over 300 sq ft. Without art, design, print ink, and labor, it'll cost you $735-750 in material alone. A contractor charges the same to 2x's that amount to install. Design 2-5 hours at $100/hr and labor or prepping the panels for installation is another 2-3 hours. If you have an installer on hourly, figure about 5-7 hours, depending on vehicle prep. You prep if a contractor is used [i.e. clean vehicle, mirror, light removal, door handles].
Ten years ago, I charged $10/sq ft, but with the prices of 2023 that are $600-800 more than those of 2010, that can't happen.

damonCA21

I think we all know that person that whatever you have done, they had it done first, twice as well and for a quarter of the price. :D

If it really was $1000 was possibly just someone using very cheap material ( $500 - $600 ) then doing a days fitting for the rest and not charging for the artwork setup. Could be someone was having a very quiet month so thought it better to get some money in by charging a lot less ( I'm sure a lot of us have done this at very quiet times rather than sitting around wasting a day )

gnubler

Can you post a pic?

It was possibly installed by Mexican or other immigrants. Not being racist, but there's many reasons why they'll work for much lower pay that the average American can't compete with. I've watched these DIY wrap videos on Youtube and they're either tweakers or Mexicans. I doubt a legit sign shop did the install.

garyroy

I would ask to see the original invoice....Oooops 2013, wow $1000. WhoDaThunkIt?

And your buddy asked for a price why? Is he looking to do another one?
I'm curious if the guy who did it for $1000 is still in business.
If so he's so busy that he can't install everyone's wrap. ;)
You can do the ones he can't get to and get to charge $2500+

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Can you post a pic?

It was possibly installed by Mexican or other immigrants. Not being racist, but there's many reasons why they'll work for much lower pay that the average American can't compete with. I've watched these DIY wrap videos on Youtube and they're either tweakers or Mexicans. I doubt a legit sign shop did the install.
You need to get out more. The Spanish immigrants don't work any cheaper than anyone else. Around here with no skill they get around 15/hr, with any sort of skill 20-40/hr. They're very reliable and usually don't carry around the bullshit baggage.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Guy was probably blowing smoke up your skirt so you don't get mad that he used someone else. Or He could have been slow, had sample material, wanted the practice, had a new hire that he needed to train, could be many reasons.

MrDav3C

Whenever we here these kind of outrageous claims from potential customers, we usually politely suggest if they can get it done at such a good price that they bite the other companies hand off and let them do the job. 9/10 times they quickly back peddle and the story changes etc. Then we usually ask ourselves "do we really want them as a customer?". You can guarantee they will be the ones who will try to knock you down on price at the start, middle and end of the job or expect extras and more work for less money or just be a general nightmare from start to finish. At this stage we sometimes quote higher than we normally would, then there is wiggle room for a bit of "discount" if necessary or on the other hand additional costs for the customers high expectations from additional graphics to extra design time are covered.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I would guess if he's telling the truth it was a "practice job" and they guy charged him just for materials and used his van as his first wrap OR they did some kind of trade. The guy paid for materials plus a little extra in exchange for some kind of service. Clearly, you aren't getting the whole story. Nobody would do that for $1000.00