• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1080 black carbon fiber weird "crinkles" after installation

sheitmar

Please see the attached pic. This is the rear trunk of a Lexus IS300.

I was working out some tension when I applied this, though I was able to get the grain of the carbon fiber relatively straight despite that. Now there is something all I can describe as a crinkle, that you can see when the light catches it. I've never experienced this before and the customer isn't happy with it. Any solutions? Would this fix itself after the adhesive has a chance to settle and release and potential tension that might be causing this?

Attachments

• 1345780552811.jpg
    1345780552811.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 130

tyzero

Looks like the vinyl stuck to itself and you pulled it apart in those areas which would damage the adhesive. So no it won't fix itself.

Why didn't you start on the flat portion and work towards the rear of the vehicle? That way you won't distort the carbon fiber lines on the horizontal surface.

To answer your question, REDO it! It would have never left our shop looking that way in the first place.

Good luck

sheitmar

Yeah, had I noticed it I wouldn't have let it out of my shop. You can only see it at specific angles, wasn't noticeable where we were working. Client only saw it after he took it outside the next day.

The reason we didn't go horizontal surface first was because of how how concave the back trunk was, and it's hard to see from the picture (the spoiler is in the way too), but the horizontal part also flares out a bit where it goes down. We foresaw problems having to fight against two curves, so we opted to heat the vinyl and stretch it over the back concave area only leaving us with one curve to worry about.

Thanks for the tip, looks like we're redoing it. I do believe the vinyl did actually fold over on itself, that makes sense. Ugh. Have to be more careful!