• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1080, not so great?

Marien

Hey Guys,

Im a hobbyist and in no way a pro. But am I the only one who thinks 1080 is a b#tch to use?

Excess material bundles up like crazy as if it's a garbage bag. The adhesive sticks on like crazy and before you know it you've overstretched the heck out of it.

Im used to thicker vinyl, harder to form, but you know what you are dealing with. It's my first time using the 3M material but i haven't been able to wrap a single piece to my satisfaction, where as with some random thicker piece of vinyl with air release it takes time, lots of patience but in general you get a good result, only where it's going into the tinier details it's where the thicker stuff doesn't do so well.

Is hexis hx30000 or hx20000 similar in use and feel as 3m's 1080?

JoshLoring

Use Oracal 3765. You'll love it. No "wrinkle up, bundle drama". And.. If the wrap sticks to the backing paper- it comes off without ripping the paper with it.

Marien

It aint so much it sticking to the backing paper, i have no issues with that.

But as soon as you put it on the part. It's so thin, you start to even out the material and the first few wrinkles will appear, keep pulling, tried tons of ways to heat it, have the wrinkles dissapear. but then you start squeegeeing again and another wrinkle somewhere else forms.

I mean practise makes perfect but being a total noob I got okay looking covered parts with some cheap *** vinyl, but with this im failing epic at the first few strokes of the squeegee.

ps: it's a weirdly curved tailpiece for a motorcycle, so it's not just a square item or something :)

rjssigns

Wrinkles

You may need a helper. Here's how it goes: Heat the wrap. Then as you are pulling lengthwise your helper pulls the lengthwise wrinkles out by grabbing the two remaining edges and stretching width-wise.

Marien

I just did a rear-fender, which took up to 1.5 hours with the thicker material. and it went really quick with the 3m vinyl.

Is it perhaps the thinness of the material? Easier to get wrinkles if you don't keep the vinyl apart from eachother.

I have lots of build up of material on more advanced contours., where im just working on getting the vinyl straight again, instead of applying it.

on the fender its perfect, on the rearpiece with the difficult contour i threw away 2 pieces already.

Attachments

• 390635_10150396830509094_636939093_8409060_748251125_n.jpg
    390635_10150396830509094_636939093_8409060_748251125_n.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 102

thewood

Use Oracal 3765. You'll love it. No "wrinkle up, bundle drama". And.. If the wrap sticks to the backing paper- it comes off without ripping the paper with it.

The Oracal 3765 is a white vinyl for digital printing, no?

The 3M 1080 is a colored vinyl product that requires no lam and is ready-to-apply.

JoshLoring

thewood said:
The Oracal 3765 is a white vinyl for digital printing, no?

The 3M 1080 is a colored vinyl product that requires no lam and is ready-to-apply.

Oops! Was thinking 970ra! Been up since 4.

COOKY

I have similar problems with 180 cv3 with the aggressiveness. I only recently switched to it. I have tried adjusting heat on the printer thinking it may be activating the adhesive. Have even waited two weeks for outgassing and still agressive. Thinking now may be oversaturating ink or the laminator is high pressure and activating the adhesive. Love the end look but when I lay a side on I can hardly pull it off to reposition. I was also wondering if the alcohol to prep could be doing it. I changed to viponds prep vinyl at the same time and maybe that isnt helping. Doing a wrap on Monday and going back to Avery surface cleaner. Hopefully it helps. You guys got any opinions. I know alot of u guys use it.

Marien

is that the advice someone else gave you when you started exploring in this business?

Don't do it, get a pro to do it. How did the pro learn it? he went to a pro to do the work for him? so on so forth?

If i wanted someone else to do it than i wouldn't be in a forum like this, nor ask the question like that.

im sure you are sick and tired of newbs posting, but it's a place where everybody starts. Even you did.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'll say this - we really learned wraps with 3M 180. After using it for so long other stuff is horrible for us to work with. I'm used to the vinyl sticking and being agressive. Tried some Avery (sample roll) a couple of years ago and got aggravated because it kept falling off - felt like I could hardly get it to stick at first. It's really just what you are used to dealing with. Change it up for a while and you will get used to something else pretty quick but it will take a little bit of time. Recently did a full matte black wrap with Oracal 970 - also very different then the 3M but I got through it okay - did wreck one peice but after that I pretty much had the material figured out.

Marien

I guess it's that too.

Im curious to see how Hexis holds up compared to the 1080.

trying to find the right balance in material that i can work with.

I guess it's all a preference.

natedawg9640

I'm a firm fan of 3m. If you're having problems with it. You may just need a tecnique modification. What application tools do you use?

4R Graphics

You just maybe one of those people that have to trial error a few more times than the next guy.

I usually try to wrap stuff around the house and shop with new materials. Start out with something simple and work my way to something impossible.

Impossible example a basketball (with one piece) I can wrap 2/3 or better with one piece this has made doing wraps much easier.