• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

10X inflation in the last 40 years.

signage

I can not even fill my bucket truck up for $100. I guess you are lucky to get any change :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: Do you want to pass your change this way so I don't have to give them two so I can get some change?

Mosh

Let me guess, you all walked to school up hill both ways, in the snow year around.....back in the "good 'ol days"!

WildWestDesigns

You guys should have the same Gas price like the one here. then you stop whining..

$9 a gallon

That's what happens when government tries to subsidize public transportation and get people to use public transportation as much as they can.

Here public transportation doesn't work in every spot. Where I live now, it doesn't work as well, however, in my hometown (Plano, TX) it grew around the DART system (I love riding the train, although I try to stay east of Pearl if I can, unless I have to go really downtown) and it works quite well.

Those that have higher gas prices are usually high because of taxes etc to get people to use public transportation. We are as close to market value as you can be except there is a little subsidy for general transportation.

signswi

That's what happens when government tries to subsidize public transportation and get people to use public transportation as much as they can.

Actually that's completely false, the US heavily suppresses gas prices domestically through regulatory controls, the EU prices are much closer to what the market would set if allowed. Various countries do add gas riders to encourage lower usage but it's very far from the reason mass trans is used so heavily. Humans are convenience creatures, good mass trans is simply more convenient--why do you think almost no one drives in NYC. Note that I said *good* mass trans, something nearly all American cities fail hard at.

Don't mean to go all political here but...

WildWestDesigns

Actually that's completely false, the US heavily suppresses gas prices domestically through regulatory controls, the EU prices are much closer to what the market would set if allowed. Various countries do add gas riders to encourage lower usage but it's very far from the reason mass trans is used so heavily. Humans are convenience creatures, good mass trans is simply more convenient--why do you think almost no one drives in NYC. Note that I said *good* mass trans, something nearly all American cities fail hard at.

Don't mean to go all political here but...

Hmmm, then I guess all my three panel models were wrong then. I'll have to look back into that.

DART is by far the best one that I have used though.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good thread. Reminiscing is great, but you still have to come back to now and move on.

In 1976, my Doge van, fully loaded was around $3,700. Sold it in 1997 for $2,500.

Back then, if you couldn't afford something, you either went without.... or you put it on 'Layaway'.​

round man

fourty years ago,...let's see that was about the time I started painting signs,...I would get $250 to paint and letter a 4x8,..truck doors paid $75 each one color,....back then me and my boss would charge the billboard companies $300 to repaint a 10x40 and we could do three a day if they were straight copy with no cartoons or outlines. paint was $12 a gallon for bright red and it was chock full of lead,....hell the white back then would cover black with one coat,....ain't much changed as far as prices go in this biz,...just what the money buys is alot less,..that`same gallon of bright red costs about $60 and it takes twice as much to do the same job and it only lasts half to a third as long as what we used to use,.....my buddy used to tell me he knew how to make a million a year in the sign business,..only problem was ya had to start off with two million,.....I think maybe he was on to something there,....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Back then... [well in the 60's], you could get a 6-Pak of beer for like 99¢ to about $1.20, according to your taste. A bottle of Ripple was about 78¢ Get three gallons of gas for $1.00. Yep, everything revolved around gas, booze and cigarettes....

Later, girls entered the picture and everything was lost.............. :covereyes: