• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

115 or 315 HP system? looking for advice

Micheal

Hey guys,

Currently im running a rolland vp-540 it seems to be working good but it 10 years old and sometimes has issues - i like how withe the hp system i can do perforated cuts on stickers and the bar code system looks handy.

I dont do a lot of work with my printer but about one week out of the month I do cannabis stickers for a big client and make good money, they want me to do their stickers and will be paying half the printer so I can continue to work for them.

is the 315 worth it? or is the 115 the same? I dont wanna cheap out but if its pretty much the same then who cares...

I know the cartridges are sized different, is there a 3rd party ink for the HP?

I also heard of a anti skewing system and color thing that keeps the colors the same as the heads die.

Any advice for me?

greysquirrel

They are identical units except...115 is self install. You need to take an online class to extend warranty to a full year. 6M out of the box The ink cartridges are smaller and not every reseller stocks them....the 115 doe not ship with a set of ink. that has to be purchased with the printer. Same everything else..color, quality, etc

Carlos Valencia

Hey guys,

Currently im running a rolland vp-540 it seems to be working good but it 10 years old and sometimes has issues - i like how withe the hp system i can do perforated cuts on stickers and the bar code system looks handy.

I dont do a lot of work with my printer but about one week out of the month I do cannabis stickers for a big client and make good money, they want me to do their stickers and will be paying half the printer so I can continue to work for them.

is the 315 worth it? or is the 115 the same? I dont wanna cheap out but if its pretty much the same then who cares...

I know the cartridges are sized different, is there a 3rd party ink for the HP?

I also heard of a anti skewing system and color thing that keeps the colors the same as the heads die.

Any advice for me?
Hi I would go with the 315 as it works with the rip software and it also uses the larger 775ML ink cartridges.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ere

We have the 115. The only real difference you might be concerned about is that per ounce the 115 ink costs more than the 315 due to the smaller ink cartridges. Please do not use 3rd party ink. It will void your warranty and if you have a problem after your warranty with ink issues the repair person will want to replace everything that has touched the aftermarket ink. The rip is also included with the 115 and I don’t think it is included with the 315 except for a few months. We have had the 115 for a year now and are very happy with it. Good luck.

ikarasu

The 115 ink cost me about 40% more in canada.. which adds up once you start doing volume.

Keep in mind the 115 and 315 do not come with cutters... You have to buy the print and cut bundle. Same.with a take up reel... If you're doing large amounts of decals you'll have to purchase a take up reel also.

equippaint

For just decals, Id be looking at the ucjv300 mimaki. Its durable without lamination, can print/cut in 1 motion, is easy to load and has good white.
From what everyone says, the latex doesnt seem to be the best fit for short runs, media swapping and up close quality. Pretty much everything thats important with making decals.

FrankW

Another difference between 115 and 315 is the missing OMAS-Sensor, which adjusts and control the media feed permanently.

Micheal

Sounds like the 115 will do, but im a sucker for bulk purchases so the bigger ink carts make sense also...

will look into the other machine mentioned.

Ere

Latex ink is also durable. HP makes reliable machines. Print heads are also affordable unlike some other machines. These are things I also considered.

Micheal

I hear people complaining about grainyness when close up to print, a lot of stickers i do are 1.25 inches with text on it, will i have to worry or is it all about trial and error?

TomK

I hear people complaining about grainyness when close up to print, a lot of stickers i do are 1.25 inches with text on it, will i have to worry or is it all about trial and error?
Yes you will, especially if they are viewed from a close distance.

If they are on a car and viewed from afar, no problem. If they are laptop or notebook type stickers stay away from the hp latex grain train machine and look at the Epson line, about the same price and so much better in terms of quality and build.

Jb1983

for stickers/labels I absolutely prefer the latex over any eco solvent printer!! Why? because the latex ink does NOT saturate the vinyl like solvent does. Therefore print/cut labels without lamination are still easy to handle and don't get all flimsy when there saturated with a black background for example. this also effects cutting, when you print and cut on a solvent machine unlaminated a saturated print tends to curl at the edges where its cut, not an issue with latex. Drop the graininess debate, otherwise start talking about solvent and there Banding issues.

That said I do LARGE orders of labels for cannabis companies and others and I sub out anything over 3000 typically to a trade only roll label printer and I make almost the same amount of money and don't have to use my machines plus I can work on other jobs and make more money since my machines are not tied up for such a long period of time.