• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1200 dpi vs 1200 x 600 dpi

pholthep

I have a quotation for my perspective client's previous prints that my client gave to me, it shows that the prints are printed at 1200 dpi... I'm confused to what that means, as the printers I'm currently planning to buy are 1200 x 600 dpi and 1200 x 1200 dpi... I'm confused between the difference of just stating 1200 dpi and stating 1200 x 1200 dpi or 1200 x 600 dpi; does that mean the 1200 x 600 dpi can or cannot print with resolution of 1200 dpi...
Note, I'm a newbie trying to get into the printing business...

Hopefully u guys can help.

considering between HP Designjet 5100 & Designjet L25500 (currently leaning towards the L25500)

And Also: Any estimate into the life of these printers ?? in terms of sq.ft or sq.m

Last edited:

Bill Modzel

You really need to do allot more research pholthep. The resolution issue is a non-issue and no one is going to look at a print and tell the difference between the two.

You are looking at two totally different printers in every way. The 5100 is an aqueous INDOOR printer only. Short term longevity. The L25500 is a latex ink printer for the outdoor market. It will print on many different substrates and make you lots of money IF that is the market that your aiming at.

"I'm a newbie trying to get into the printing business... ", really isn't telling us much. It doesn't sound like you even know the direction that you want to go with your business.
If you have never been in a digital printing environment you are in for a long learning curve. . . . and be prepared to spend lots of $$$$.

Bly

I have two HP5500s and the only difference between 1200x600 and 600 is the higher res takes twice as long to print.

tbaker

basically the way that it works is,

The higher the resolution, the slower the printer prints because of mechanical limitations. it takes more precision to order the dots in the dither pattern for 1200x1200, then it does to print 1200x600. Typically the way a printer does this is by going from bidirectional fast to bidirectional slow to unidirectional fast to unidirectional slow.

At your absolute lowest print speed, you have your best print quality.

I'd agree with Bill, unless you are dealing with a museum or an artist, your client would never be able to tell the difference.