• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1204 "Broken Chip" error

RG

I put in a new cyan ink cart this morning and I get the "Broken Chip" error. Does this mean that the smart card chip on the cartridge is broken or is the chip inside the printer that reads the smart card broken? There is nothing about this in the service manual. Any help is appreciated.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Is that what the screen actually says or is there a specific error code. I have never seen that error and it's definitely not in the tech manual. Usually you will get an error that looks like, "S/C read error", or , "Not original". Take a flashlight and take a good look in the cartridge area. Compare it to one that is working and see what you find.

RG

Thanks for your quick reply, VanderJ. Yep, "Broken Chip" is exactly what I see on the control panel. I have seen the "S/C read error" before and that was certainly for the smart card on the cartridge. I have to leave the building for a few hours and will try to look inside when I get back in. Thanks again!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
No problem! I am willing to bet that the chip on the cartridge was programmed improperly or something along those lines. You could always try another cartridge to be sure. Then ask your ink supplier to send you a new chip or cartridge if that ends up working.

RG

Thanks VanderJ and Stealth Ryder for your help. The problem was with the smart card. Why can't Mutoh add the one, extra line in their service manual and expain what this error code means? I'm just thankful that is wasn't a board gone bad.