• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1204 dampers full

RG

I started to print a file last Friday and noticed that 12 yellow and 4 magenta jets were not firing. After several cleaning cycles and head soakings, the same jets were still not firing. I put a new cap top on the MS and it's pulling ink through the head as it should. So today I decided it was time for a closer look. When I took the dampers off I saw that both yellow and both magenta were FULL. What's up with that? Black and cyan dampers are all at half full and all jets firing. Seriously, does any one know what causes this fullness and how to avoid it? I replaced these about 2 years ago. I assume that the yellow dampers are not full of pure yellow ink and the magenta dampers are not full of pure magenta ink because of the head soakings I tried--half a dozen 15 minute soakings and one 5 hour soaking. But, I could be wrong about that. Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• Dampers-full.jpg
    Dampers-full.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 80

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It is recommended by the manufacturer that you change the dampers once every year. This is mostly because the damper has filters in it and can clog or break causing nozzles to clog. They also recommend you change them because the flexibility of the damper lessens as time goes by which causes the damper to fill up completely. I would change the dampers just to be able to rule them out but, although it is definitely possible, I do not think it will help your nozzle drop out. When dampers fail, the missing nozzles will move around after cleanings. I believe you are correct about the dirtiness of the dampers being caused by the head soaks. You can see that the cleaning solution has risen to the top and the ink has settled to the bottom.

Another issue that can cause dampers to fill up completely is a failing maintenance station. Normally, if ink is flowing strongly into the waste tank, the station is good. How old is your station? If it's older than 2 years, it is probably not pulling ink as hard as it should to keep the head clean. You can only get away with changing the cap top for so long before the pump tubes start to wear out.

Unfortunately, when the same nozzles won't fire and head soaks don't clear them up, they are either too clogged to recover, and/or the actual nozzle is damaged. As a last resort you can try flushing the head with a syringe and cleaning solution but make sure you are ready to spend the money on a new head before trying to flush as it can cause more damage to the head. Especially older heads.

RG

Thanks for your reply VanderJ. You give really good advice. I just placed a parts order with solventinkjet.com.