• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1284 parallel

motorola424

Just wondering if anybody uses the parallel connection instead of the 1394 firewire.
I am having trouble using rasterlink pro to connect to the printer through the parallel port. i installed all the drivers i thought i needed.
still rasterlink pro says under the printer status : "enable to connect"

device manager also doesn't show anything, but i'm not sure if it will since it is a parallel connection.
any ideas?
thanks,
Pete

APC Tech NE

The Parallel port is there primarily for troubleshooting purposes only. Throughput is very low, not suitable for normal printing. There is a pre-ripped .prn file we use to bypass the rip in order to troubleshoot print quality issues. The command prompt in Windows is used to copy the file directly to the port. Is your firewire card blown?

motorola424

ok, firewire installed. the device manager shows mimaki print and status port, but no print.
is there any settings in the printer for the computer to communicate?

rasterlink pro printer status = printer not ready.

Letterbox Mike

What kind of firewire card did you get? It works best with the Texas Instruments chipset, don't ask me why, it's just what I was told by both Mimaki and Onyx tech support. Also, make sure it's a high-quality cable. Have you downloaded the latest mimaki firewire driver from mimaki's website? A call to mimaki tech support may be in order, the firewire on the JV3 can be very finicky. Some people have no problems, others have a ton of problems. When we hooked ours up, we finally found a combination of firewire driver version, firewire card manufacturer and cable that worked, but it took a while and we went through 3 cards. Good luck!