• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

1304 "head wiper" question and maintenance uber-guide

trakers

Does the head get wiped each time the carriage returns when printing with the 1304?

If so, how often do you fellas replace that wiper and where is a good vendor to get said wiper? Is it a bitch to replace?

Also, is anyone interested in a Mutoh 1304 maintenance uber-guide that perhaps could be made sticky?

I've watched the Mutoh vids, but as I've talked to the Mutoh factory guys, a Mutoh field tech and my vendors service guys, each has their own "tips and tricks" involving pipe cleaners, syringes, removing side panels, eye-of-newt, etc., not mentioned in the official Mutoh guide.

I'd put something together if you guys would want to contribute your little tried-and-true field tips.

FatCat

Does the head get wiped each time the carriage returns when printing with the 1304?

No, doesn't wipe during printing - unless it is a very long run and it stops to do a head clean after so long.

If so, how often do you fellas replace that wiper and where is a good vendor to get said wiper? Is it a bitch to replace?

I believe rule of thumb is about every 6 months, though I waited almost a year to replace mine. The wiper just becomes very soft and gummy from the solvents over time and becomes less effective at wiping the head. You can order a replacement from Fellers, SW, ebay, etc.

You'll need to remove the side cover to replace it and move the head off the capping station. I grab the wiper blade with a pair of long nose pliers and pull up just enough to use an X-acto blade to slice through the loops on the bottom. Just one slice on each loop is enough and then pull straight up. Take some cleaning solvent and clean the area on the blade holder where the tabs are that hold the wiper blade to remove excess buildup. Then using firm but gentle pressure, insert new wiper blade (make sure it is facing the right direction) and press down until the loops snap over the tabs on the blade holder. 10-15 minute job.

Also, is anyone interested in a Mutoh 1304 maintenance uber-guide that perhaps could be made sticky?

I've watched the Mutoh vids, but as I've talked to the Mutoh factory guys, a Mutoh field tech and my vendors service guys, each has their own "tips and tricks" involving pipe cleaners, syringes, removing side panels, eye-of-newt, etc., not mentioned in the official Mutoh guide.

I'd put something together if you guys would want to contribute your little tried-and-true field tips.

Sure, I'm all for it.

gzolee

this is from the 1204 manual

4.7.3 Replacing Cleaner Head (Cleaning Wiper)
NOTE
Before replacing the cleaner head, remove the following covers.
• R side cover: "4.2.1 Removing R Side Cover" p.4-7
1. Remove the cleaner head from the cleaner head by using tweezers, and lift it from the holder upward.
NOTE
To remove the wiper, use the tweezers to unhook the lower hook of the wiper.
2. Replace the cleaner head.
3. To reassemble the unit, reverse the removal procedure.
No. Part name
1 Pump cap assembly
2 Cleaning wiper
Hook