• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

14' Wells Fargo Trailer

Tagdog

I posted about this earlier. We are about to put vinyl on a friends trailer. It is our first job like this. We printed on 3m Control Tac and laminated with 3m 8519. vinyl is 3.5' x 8'.
It has been suggested that we take out the screws, put on the vinyl and put the screws back. This will be the easiest but how does it look? Will it look better to put the vinyl on top of the screws?
We ordered a rivot brush, a vinyl application roller, and a Big Squeegee rivot tool from Fellers. We are going to practice with some scraps first if we decide to try and put it on top of the screws.
How should we start? Start in the middle (center hinge)? Start at the top? Should I put the whole piece on and then go back and work the screws? We are going to put this on tomorrow and if we get it right the first time I'll make some money.

Thanks
Signs Up

it will look fine.
i dont know your experience level but with this being the first job of this type i am guessing it is at the lower end of the spectrum. depending on the amount of screws it would be faster for an experienced installer to go over them but it will be easier for you if you are new to installation to remove them and work on a relatively flat surface. i'd start at the top work down leaving a tent over the rivet/screws flash them with heat and roll over it with the rollepro done collect check go home but i'm sick of this type of work and would refer it to another shop altogether

Tagdog

Wrinkle Trail

I am going to install Wed.afternoon. I am half determined to try to go over screws. I practiced on some sheetmetal and screws in the shop. I carefully went over the screws and kept going. In between the screws is a tent of an air bubble running from screw to screw. I pushed these as close to the screw as possible, applied heat and rolled across it with the rivot roller. I left several wrinkles between the screws. Am I doing something wrong? Is it just something I need to watch someone do before I try myself?

Signs Up

cdiesel

Just 4x4 right over the rivets/screws like they're not even there. Don't pull on the vinyl as you go over the rivets or you'll get the wrinkles you're talking about. Also, don't use heat until you're setting the vinyl around the rivets.

dman0427

On those trailer screws, I like to take them out. They usually need a square bit (not a star or torques head).

I find it much easier myself.
No having to go back and brush out the rivets... just screwing them back in.

That is if they are not buck rivets of course :D

Tagdog

Thanks all, probably going to take out the screws. What kind of squeegee is best. I was practicing going over the rivots with a Big Squeegee tool. Is this the best or should I use a regular squeegee with some tape on it?
The vinyl is 3.5' x 8' I am going to start on the left side and work to the right. Does this sound right?

Signs Up (Real Green but Learning)

cdiesel

The big squeegee is NOT an application tool! It works fine as a tape tool, but because of the size, it won't allow you to apply enough pressure to the vinyl.
I'd use a center hinge instead of a side hinge. Make sure you use witness marks to keep you from skewing up or down.

cdiesel

Oh.. we like to use either gold squeegees with velcro, white teflons with velcro, or the yellow felt deals.