• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

15-day jail sentence over Lockport sign

lexsigns

Really???
Thats a bit steep considering there are REAL criminals walking free...
There is something wrong w/ the system but why am I not surprised

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
total asshat bureaucracy. The country is over-governing itself to oblivion. Remember Rome? ........Here we go........

ucmj22

I could see a semblance of purpose for an ordinance that would not allow "strobing" of electronic signs... but 10 min??? and maybe a fine equal to a traffic violation, but Jail time???

I dont want to live on this planet anymore.... Richard Branson... TAKE ME AWAY!

D&Tgraphics

I wonder if Dennis (D&T) installed that sign? LOL

No John it wasn't me. :ROFLMAO:

That guy has been having trouble over that damn sign for a couple years now. It's a bunch of BS. The only reason they are targeting him is because he's a very vocal person on corruption in the government and is always stirring up some s**t. He's kind of a loon. :smile:

Pat Whatley

Hell, he knew the law, had already been busted once, knew the consequences of doing it and did it anyway. He's an idiot. Apparently just fining him didn't work, now he gets to go to jail and see if he learns.

If you don't like the law then work to get the law changed....don't just snub your nose at it and act appalled when you get punished.

Perks

Ten minute time limit does not make too much sense. Every 45 to 60 seconds seems more reasonable amount of time.

Whats your clock time duration?

ucmj22

Hell, he knew the law, had already been busted once, knew the consequences of doing it and did it anyway. He's an idiot. Apparently just fining him didn't work, now he gets to go to jail and see if he learns.

If you don't like the law then work to get the law changed....don't just snub your nose at it and act appalled when you get punished.

if tomorrow they passed an ordinance making it illegal to own a weapon, would you turn in your firearms, and drive to city hall every day for the next 18 months to work to change the law? :covereyes:

WildWestDesigns

if tomorrow they passed an ordinance making it illegal to own a weapon, would you turn in your firearms, and drive to city hall every day for the next 18 months to work to change the law? :covereyes:

Most of the time laws like that only affect people from that time forward, not those that got everything when it was legal to do so (along the lines of ex post facto). You have to show that you got them when it was legal to do so. Why do you think so many people were collecting guns when the current administration was just transitioning into office? They were afraid of some of those very laws going into effect.

I don't really see a ban on gun ownership, but I could see laws to do with sales of the guns. Way too much issue to attack gun ownership specifically. Have to get a little more creative then that.

Last edited:

David Wright

Let's no kid ourselves that this man had any political recourse. Sure, vote out the ones that passed the law, or protest at city hall. Done all that and it is futile.

ucmj22

Most of the time laws like that only affect people from that time forward, not those that got everything when it was legal to do so (along the lines of ex post facto). You have to show that you got them when it was legal to do so. Why do you think so many people were collecting guns when the current administration was just transitioning into office? They were afraid of some of those very laws going into effect.

I don't really see a ban on gun ownership, but I could say laws to do with sales of the guns. Way too much issue to attack gun ownership specifically. Have to get a little more creative then that.

I wasnt trying to make this about guns, just giving an example that would be more clear about the ridiculousness of putting idiots in to a position of power, and then having to fight with them constantly for doing stupid spit all the time. I live in the most 2nd amendment repressed state in the union, so it was the first thing that came to mind.

WildWestDesigns

I wasnt trying to make this about guns, just giving an example that would be more clear about the ridiculousness of putting idiots in to a position of power, and then having to fight with them constantly for doing stupid spit all the time. I live in the most 2nd amendment repressed state in the union, so it was the first thing that came to mind.

Wasn't my intent either, it was the retroactive nature of the example that was more of the issue.

I don't disagree with you what I have in bold, but I only see really one recourse to remedy that, some on it's face would like it, but when they realize all that's involved with it, they won't like it as much. Even though they are probably the most verbal in theory of wanting to go back to that "source" if you will.

But I have to stop there as I don't want to get the thread locked up (if I haven't already crossed that line).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I agree with PAT 110%.

If he's anything brighter than a light bulb, do you mean tot tell me he can't read plain English ?? It was totally spelled out for him and he purposely violated the law, not once.... but twice.

It is a severe penalty, but that's no excuse to ignore the law. He thinks he can solve government corruption by breaking the law himself.... now why doesn't that surprise me. :rolleyes:

ucmj22

I agree with PAT 110%.

If he's anything brighter than a light bulb, do you mean tot tell me he can't read plain English ?? It was totally spelled out for him and he purposely violated the law, not once.... but twice.

It is a severe penalty, but that's no excuse to ignore the law. He thinks he can solve government corruption by breaking the law himself.... now why doesn't that surprise me. :rolleyes:

he in no way violated the personal or property rights of any individual. I dont understand how violating a civil ordinance, that quite frankly has no business being in effect in the first place, warrants jail time. we let we let serious criminals out early due to overcrowding, apparently to make room for the business owners violating ordinances.
I would say that he has done his work to change the ordinance by standing against it. He has brought glaring attention to it, and I dont see this particular ordinance staying around much longer after this.... but I could be wrong.

SD&F

If it is a small town, they local government rules.
I reside in a town that has directly pointed fingers at individuals that they personally don't care for. If the people on the board have issues with you, well you can't get anything done. It is unfair, but that is the way it's done. I don't believe in breaking the law, but if I was trying to make a stand or bring attention and get in the news.........maybe this will help change something.

Jillbeans

They are illegal in my township.
A biz down the street got a dandy one (but not a permit) Took them MONTHS to get it approved, and it can only change every two minutes.
The next township up has a rash of these monstrosities.
Too bright, illegible crap flashing away.
Love....Jill

10sacer

He just got his public voice that he needed by getting this punishment. Now it will make the regional or national news and some ACLU lawyer will pick up the fight and then the political game will be on. So he has to do 15 days in jail, so what, if you pick up some advocacy as a result.

If he's a loon then he has probably exhausted his voice and exasperated the officials, but they will listen to lawyers...